How Do We Pray ?

A forum for Al to post his musings
Eva
Family

Re: How Do We Pray ?

Post by Eva »

Thank you Al for starting a thread on this most important subject, and for the rest of you sharing your prayer experiences.

I grew up as an atheist in a European country at that time steeped in Communism. It was only shortly after my family came to Australia in 1968 that I became open to God's existence -- then in my late teens and at a very low point in my life. A non-mainstream church I was led to in 1970 and stayed with for over 25 years taught me the discipline of praying twice a day for about half an hour accompanied with some spiritual reading (Bible, or other inspirational material). I am still very grateful for this foundation and it has been my habit now for 45+ years. The last 20 years, I have not always been involved in a church, but I have never abandoned prayer and my relationship with God. I haven't fully understood the Divine Love teachings as presented in the Padgett messages till a couple of years ago. However, I have understood the work of the God's Spirit/Holy Spirit to a considerable degree and believe that the Divine Love has been working in my soul for many years.

As far as prayer specifics, I echo some of the things already expressed in this thread. I too am inspired by praying in nature -- on walks or sitting down in a nature setting. Praying in bed before getting up has also worked on me (I haven't tried standing on my head like Geoff and don't plan too! :lol:) Gratitude is a wonderful way to remain in a prayerful attitude. Sometimes I can't think what to say to Father, except just Thank you. Often, in little time spaces between tasks, or when walking or waiting, I like to briefly ask for the Divine Love or send Love to people around me. I also do this when I wake up at night before falling asleep again. I am not psychic and haven't had any "dramatic" experiences of feeling the Love, mainly just a deep peace and goodwill to others. I have countless times experienced answered prayers, blessings, healings, and protection.

Like Geoff, I have been blessed for almost a decade now to pursue a spiritual ministry of writing, so I spend a good part of the week on spiritual pursuits -- be it improving my website, writing books, correspondence, or forum contributions (though I have been quiet for a while and need to catch up on some of the interesting threads here.)

I believe that as with any relationship, each of us is unique and has unique ways to relate to Father. But it is wonderful and inspiring to share with each other in this manner to enrich one another's spiritual journeys. So thanks everyone for your comments.

Love to you all, and may we continue growing closer to Father and consequently to each other in Love and unity.
Eva
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Thank you Eva for contributing this lovely post. Our prayer journeys are all unique and what happens when we pray also takes on unique characteristics. I wonder how much of what we experience in prayer is determined by our past experiences and beliefs? It would be interesting to explore that subject. As always, you write a well thought out and interesting response. Always appreciated. Much love.......Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
Pamela
Happy Camper

Post by Pamela »

Prayer is conversation with God. It is you talking to God and God talking back to you. God talks to me though my thoughts. And now that I have studied so many near death testimonies I know this is true. In heaven they don't use their lips to talk but talk mind to mind and this is how God talks to me.

I keep a diary of the things God says to me and I go back at times and reread what He has said to me. What is so cool about this you will see how God has moved on your behalf.

For example I was so worried about a job orientation because of bad weather and God told me. "My child, my hand is upon you and you will have safe travels. I didn't bring you this far to watch you fall." To make a long story short I arrive there safely and safely back. That was in 2011.

Once my daughter was homeless and God told me he had a place for her and sure enough a place was provided for her. He always tells me to look back and see the miracles that he has already done for me and to know that he will do it again. So prayer isn't always us talking to God but us listening to what God has to say.

It takes a lot of practice hearing God's voice discerning the voice of yourself, other spirits and God but practice does make perfect.

I know that God is love and that God would never tell me to hurt myself or others. This is one rule I go by in judging if a still small voice is God or not. God always backs his Word and He would never go against what He has already said He will do or promised.
Pamela
BAT
Happy Camper

Post by BAT »

There is no conversation in prayer. The state of Being is prayer, wordless, without material language that can limit the language of God. God is silent. A mere desire, wordless, may also be a prayer. The words we hear from God are merely the words we create for ourselves to create to express the unspoken words. Humility and humbleness is the key ingredient to prayer, it brings out sincerity not mere chatter.
Loren
Pamela
Happy Camper

Post by Pamela »

i know that Jesus said to pray to the Father in Jesus name and what you ask for in prayer will be answered. Then there is the Lord's prayer that he taught his disciples.

1662 Anglican BCP[14]

Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
When before the Collect the priest alone recites the prayer, the people here respond: Amen.
When after all have communicated the people repeat each petition after the priest, the prayer ends:
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

We can also pray to God from our own heart and not memorize any prayers. I believe this is the best way to pray. Prayer is just talking to God like you do with your best friend, mom and dad or someone dear to your heart. God listens to the heart more then memorizing a prayer.
Pamela