Why I believe this summers spiritual retreats are important

Discuss prayer meetings and retreats here
dmreed2
Family

Why I believe this summers spiritual retreats are important

Post by dmreed2 »

I had been unsure whether I would be able to make it to the spiritual retreats this summer and had been praying for some guidance. My prayers were answered in of all places a television show. I thought I would share with you this unexpected message, so to speak, received in such an unusual way.

A little over a month ago I turned on the Television and one of my favorite television series was on called Little House on The Prairie. If you are unfamiliar with this show it is based on a several books written by Lora Ingalls Wilder and is set in the Midwest Unites States during the early 19th century before cars when everything was done with horse and buggy. The setting is a small town called Walnut Grove surrounded by farmlands. The television episode that was playing was titled “The Voice of Tinker Jones”. There was a lot of symbolism in it that I’m sure was God helping me to understand why these August retreats are important. The show was about the church congregation who use a one room school house to have their church services in on Sunday. The pastor had requested a new bell for the church because the old one was broken. This created a feud within the church and tempers flared about how to raise money for buying the bell. One group which was led by proud Mrs. Olsen who wanted to buy the bell but have a plaque commemorating her donation. The other group said there should be no plaque and the money anonymously donated. This created a split in the members to the point that everyone stopped going to church. Along came a traveling Tinker Man who was adept at creating and fixing things but was deaf and mute. He communicated through gestures and symbols. He gathered up all the children of the community and told them that he wanted them to help him make a new bell for the church but they were to keep it a secret. They enthusiastically agreed and he set the children to work. He had them search for scrap metal that would be melted down to make the new bell. He showed them how to make a mold and together the children and the Tinker Man melted the metal down and poured it into a mold for the new bell. Once it was hardened the Tinker Man mounted the bell on the front of the church in the place of the old one. He promptly pulled on the bells rope and began to ring it and the townsfolk and farmers came running from all directions to see how it was that the old bell could be ringing. The children explained to their parents that they had made the bell with the Tinker Man’s help and it didn’t cost anything. The townsfolk realized how silly it was that they had feuded over the bell and made up and promptly and gathered together in celebration of God and their love for Him.

I believe that God was symbolized by the deaf and mute Traveling Tinker Man who used gestures to communicate. And the Angels symbolized by the children who were helping Him to construct the bell. The “voice of Tinker Jones” which are the bells, symbolizes God's calling to all of His children to come together unified by Love. The old bell, which symbolizes God's previously calling, had become fragmented and quieted by disharmony that was building within the groups because of hurt feelings, differences in opinions and misunderstandings. The new bell is God's new calling to His children on this path of Divine Love, to let go of these things and to come together unified by and with Love. And that these retreats this summer are an important part in fulfilling this calling. It feels to me that His Angels are working very diligently to remove the obstacles that exist so that this new calling can be fulfilled. For myself, I have noticed that many of my original concerns or obstacles are being cleared away. So I decided that since this was the work of the Angels I should go. For example my employer was none to happy that I requested two weeks off in a row from work during the busiest time of the year and pointed out to me that people with greater seniority do not have this privilege. But the next day quickly had a change for heart saying that they would do whatever was needed to make it possible for me to take two weeks off from work.

May this bell continuously ring for all.

with much love and hugs,
David
Don't Plan, Live, Love, Pray, Pray for God's Love, and let yourself enjoy your spiritual journey
DennisT
Family

Re: Why I believe this summers spiritual retreats are import

Post by DennisT »

What a wonderful story, David. Thank you for sharing it here.

It reminds me of another work, "for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Love and hugs, and looking forward to seeing you again,

Dennis
dmreed2
Family

Post by dmreed2 »

Thanks Dennis and thanks for reminding me of the book "For whom the Bell Tolls". I did a quick search to learn more about this book and interestingly learned that the book's title is taken from the metaphysical poet John Donne's series of meditations and prayers on health, pain, and sickness. Hemmingway who wrote the book quoted from one of Donne's meditations this poem in its epigraph:

No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.

We are not an island unto ourselves but part of the whole of humanity. If one of us becomes washed into the sea because of the conditions of life, we all suffer, so when we extend a hand to help we are also helping ourselves and all of humanity is also benifitted.

Thank you Dennis for all the help you tirelessly give.

with Love,
David
Don't Plan, Live, Love, Pray, Pray for God's Love, and let yourself enjoy your spiritual journey
Helge Mercker
Family

Post by Helge Mercker »

Dear David
Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful realization and I am so thankful that I will see you very soon. You were and always are in my prayers and I am so delighted how the way has opened and all barriers a falling down.

I am so pleased with your story and wish to ask you if I may use it to tell my children. I was thinking if you would be interested in creating a children's book with like stories and bringing in the teachings of Truth. Like in the above story I will expand on Who God is...the loving Father etc, how we all can become Angels etc.....of cause depending on the age group. It would be wonderful to collaborate in something like this....my head is spinning.....as the ideas are pouring down.
Thank you for this inspiring sharing, lets talk more over the possibilities. As you know, your soul and heart is here with the children so often and I see that your gentle, kind and loving heart can bring them many more stories, talking about God and His Great Love.

See you very soon, much love and hugs,
Helge.
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

David, I wish to second Helge's suggestion. You are a superb writer. Your light shines through with your simple words and stories. You need to share this gift in a greater way. I think within your humble being are so many beautiful gifts just waiting to come forth. You are a channel of Love and a bright light my friend. When I think of someone who exemplifies the ways of Jesus, I think of you. It is such an honor to know someone of your beautiful nature and light. You are an example to so many David and I doubt that you know this. Keep being that beautiful light. Your simple wisdom and love are so needed in this world. With all my gratitude and appreciation.....Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
dmreed2
Family

Post by dmreed2 »

Thank you Al and Helge for your kind words. Helge, I would be delighted if you could share this story with the children. If it were possible maybe they could view the episode since the dialog isn’t important and the meaning and lessons it contains can be understood visually. There are many websites offering it to watch but I haven’t found a free version yet. Its season 1 episode 11.

A children’s book sounds very interesting. My inspiration to wright is sporadic and I never know when or what topic comes to me to write about until it does. Sitting down and writing a book would require planning and organization which might limit my creativity and I may be sitting for quite a while doing a lot of day dreaming. But, maybe this is just a fear of mine. It’s something that we can definitely visit about. I am also very excited to see you again soon and hear all about those many ideas that are floating around in your head. I’m sure your feeling light on your feet these days with all the exciting things you are doing, keep your head in the clouds Helge and enjoy every moment of Heavenly sunlight that keeps shining on you. :D

Al, I’m really looking forward to the book that you and your team are putting together. Your writing is always top notch and inspiring. What an amazing gift you have and Jeanne’s gift of bringing people together makes you an unstoppable force in lighting up the world with Love. :D

With much love,
David
arie2012
Family

Post by arie2012 »

Magnificent, David. Just magnificent and beautiful!
Thanks a lot for inspiring us with your words and most of all your beaming love..

Big, big hug,
Arie
dmreed2
Family

Post by dmreed2 »

Thanks and thank you for the Big big Hug Arie. It will be just magnificent to see you and Marion in August!! :D God bless.
Sending you a really Big Hug right back,
David
Terry Adler
Family

Post by Terry Adler »

Dear David,

Your interpretation of that TV story is truly soul perception! Thank you so much for sharing this! You are a beautiful soul, and I am thrilled you will be coming to the August retreat, contributing your light and love to our time together!

Helge, what a lovely idea to share this story with the children. You look for and find ways to feed their souls as well as their little bodies!

Blessings, dear friends,
Terry xxxooo
gildaholy
New Friend

Post by gildaholy »

WOW! Amazing how God communicates in mysterious ways! Earlier, in one of my responses, I was hoping that there would be no more pain and suffering in the world. I felt brokenhearted at an email I glanced at from Glenn Beck, I try to stay away for the news and politics....I detest politics......at a glance I read that children are being tortured and sold into slavery in the middle east......I started to cry and felt so much sadness....I thought! What can I do? What can we do? My answer was......PRAYER!!!! Prayers are powerful and when we pray together prayers are even more powerful.....That is why we need to gather and that is why our angels are opening all the doors!!!
All my love and prayers
Gilda