Curious 1980's DL get together

Discuss prayer meetings and retreats here
Carolyn S
New Friend

Re: Curious 1980's DL get together

Post by Carolyn S »

Hi Geoff!

I have learned never to assume, deear Geoff. I paid for that camera from the insurance money from my son, Autumn's untimely passing. It was an expensive camera. Probably I could have taken camera classes, but as I had a toddler, Kelly, to take care of and at that time, was the organizer of our regular chidcare coop, I had other things that held the priority of my attention. At least we have this photo taken that survived to give testament to that time, and the gathering we hosted. I will not answer any more questions on this subject.

Have a wonderful week.

God bless you,

Carolyn
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Carolyn S wrote: I will not answer any more questions on this subject.
Dear Carolyn,

Perhaps you did not mean to be unloving there, but its frankly quite a big deal whether what you captured was a very rare spiritual "rainbow" or just a fancy filter added to get a kooky effect, or the result of pointing the camera a bit too much into the sun. But I sense you did not feel the picture was special, so I will assume its not a manifestation of spirit. Adding special filters is the sort of thing really top end photographers do, and they know why they are doing it, and they have bought and learned how to use these filters. I think these days its probably not even something that is used any more, with all the electronics we now have? But I would have to ask a photographer friend.

take care,
Geoff
Esther Beaton
New Friend

Post by Esther Beaton »

Hi Geoff:
"Special effects" filters were all the rage many years ago, like "starburst" and others, but not used so much any more. But I doubt this was taken with such a filter. The effect can be duplicated quite naturally, either accidentally or deliberately if you know how to go about it. A "filter" that would cause such an effect could be made by smearing streaks of grease across the lens. If it's accidental, then it's just due to a dirty lens. Because the lens is pointing into the sun and is not protected by a lens hood, the sun is causing this flare. Usually the resulting effect is bad but it's rare luck (?) that in this case it is quite interesting. Also in this case there is a secondary effect. The "rainbow" is happening because the material on the lens, whether grease or water, acts like a prism and is refracting the light into the component parts of the visible spectrum, ie, the rainbow. Hope this helps.
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

{{{{{Esther}}}}}}

Thank you so much for answering my question. I hope to see you at one of my meditations soon. I have the second one tonight. For those who might like to see some of the amazing photos that Esther has taken, have a look here.

love,
Geoff
Carolyn S
New Friend

Post by Carolyn S »

Hi!
I didn't mean to have you think I am unloving. I've got people coming and am trying to prepare for that visit and them staying over. So, when I said what I did, it was going back to that time and knowing that the DL helped so many of us over situations where there were a lot of challenging things going on.

Quite the contrary, which is why I said I try not to assume. So, please don't tell me my motives, Geoff. Unfortuantely, there are limitations to communicating via email. I have experienced many things that I don't have the answer. I was prvileged to have Autumn in my life and many people experienced so-called miacles with him, as did I, even after he passed over, such as him appearing to me and others.

:idea: Angels helped with this one, because I don't use a camera that has to have pictures developed any more. I looked for and found the old camera on a shelf in the closet and here is more information on it, (it was new at the time and the lens was clean because I didn't want anything to happen to it. I made sure it was properly stored with the lens cap). It is a 35 mm Minolta Hi-Matic AFS-M.
It was the afternoon when we got together and continued throughout the weekend. I do recall taking more pictures in the back yard near the swing, but those pictures were stored somewhere, I don't know they survived relocating to other states and going overseas, here. I did share copies of the pictures with others. So, maybe more will show up. Hope this helps.

I believe this is the only picture that the rainbow showed up afterward. As I said in the previous email, no I didn't take any classes in photography. I had organized a childcare co-op for the Toddler Brigade and had my hands full with that. There were more people from different angles and going up the stairs that don't appear in that particular shot, as well as in the house itself.
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Lovely photo none the less and an interresting discussion. What is real and imaginary....always a challange to discern the truth. I'm glad we got to the bottom of one mystery, only a million more to go ;) . Love al
Endless journey,endless Love.