Help for translation

This is a forum to share what projects you are working on, or may work on. The idea is to avoid duplication of effort, as its easy for a lot of wasted effort to occur.
Christian
Busy Bee

Help for translation

Post by Christian »

Hello all;
As I am on the way of translating TGRABJ_VOL2, I have difficulties wit thi sentence :
"So believe what I say and try to throw off all worries from now onward to the time when the occasion for the same will cease."
This sentence is part of the following message " https://new-birth.net/padgetts-messages ... ol-2-pg95/"
What does Jesus means by saying this ?
Is Jesus asking James Padgett to postpone his worries about the time he won't have anything anymore to worry about or until the time he has gained enough mastery over his worries and worries won't bother him any more ?
As i have been asking a friend about this, he suggested that Jesus was ssking James Padgett to postpone his worries until the time he goes to the spiritual world where he wouldn't have anything anymore to worry about ?
is anyone has some idea ?
Thanks for your help.
Christian
Geoff
Family

Re: Help for translation

Post by Geoff »

Christian wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:06 am Hello all;
As I am on the way of translating TGRABJ_VOL2, I have difficulties wit thi sentence :
"So believe what I say and try to throw off all worries from now onward to the time when the occasion for the same will cease."
This sentence is part of the following message " https://new-birth.net/padgetts-messages ... ol-2-pg95/"
What does Jesus means by saying this ?
Dear Chris,

In modern English:

Stop worrying now, and shortly you will find you wont worry at all.

I take it to mean that when JP has enough DL he will stop worrying. That is typically the case, your faith increases, and worry recedes. That message is dated July 6th, 1915 so its very early in Padgett's journey.

hugs
Geoff
Christian
Busy Bee

Post by Christian »

Thanks a lot Geoff for your help, your answer and your explanation.

Have a blessed week.
Christian
Busy Bee

Post by Christian »

Hello Everyone;

I am re-reading, once again, my translation of TGRBJ_Vol1. I don't why but I didn't pay enough attention to the fowwing sentence found in Paul's message of November 21st 1916 which was about hell. Here is this sentence :

"So many preachers and commentators on the Bible attempt to determine a most vital truth by a shade of meaning that they conceive a particular word in its original, may have, when they are not justified in concluding that such word had at the time used, such shade of meaning, or that the original as they conceive it to be, was the original word actually spoken or written."

I think I understand the meaning of this sentence although I am not 100 % sure and so I have difficulties to make, in French, a clear sentence about it. So, if someone could help me, I would be very grateful.

Here is the link for the original message : https://new-birth.net/padgetts-messages ... l-1-pg184/

Thank you very much.

Christian
Christian
Busy Bee

Post by Christian »

I would say :

"Many preachers and Bible commentators attempt to determine an essential truth by attributing to a particular word a nuance of meaning that it may originally have had. But they cannot determine the nuance of meaning that word had at the time, nor can they determine what the word originally meant when it was spoken or written."

But is the real meaning of this sentence or am I missing someting ?
BethM
Site Admin

Post by BethM »

I think you have it fairly close ... it is definitely an awkward sentence! What I'm wondering about this this: when I read "or that the original as they conceive it to be, was the original word actually spoken or written" I think this could also mean that the word that the preachers are focusing on may not have actually been used. So it's not just that 'hell' may have had a different meaning ... it's that the word 'hell' wasn't actually used. That's my interpretation of that, but as I said, it's an awkward sentence!
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Dear Christian,

Thats is a fine effort in my opinion. The issue is that Aramaic has many meanings to one word and the speaker like Jesus sometimes intends more than one meaning and the listeners enjoyed this. In Greek it is the opposite. There are many words that have essentially one meaning, so you cannot really translate from Aramaic easily to Greek and then on to English. This is particularly the problem given that words change meaning over time, and all we have these days is Greek of varying ages. Of course there are no Aramaic manuscripts despite some claiming there are.

hugs
Geoff
Christian
Busy Bee

Post by Christian »

Hello Beth and Geoff;

Thanks for your reply and your efforts to comment my proposal.

I wish to both of you a merry Christmas.

Christian