Hello Again

Please introduce yourself here
JohnThomas
New Friend

Hello Again

Post by JohnThomas »

It's been awhile since I've been on this board. I wanted to say 'hi' again and re-introduce myself. This looks like a great forum with so many interesting discussions. I'm still trying to figure out how to respond - so please excuse me if I'm posting this incorrectly.
Hope to meet all of you who can come to the DC 100th Anniversary Padgett Messages retreat.
Take care,
John Thomas
AlFike
Site Admin

Re: Hello Again

Post by AlFike »

Welcome John and yes you have done your bit to be a part of this Divine Love discussion. We are so happy to see so many DL followers in our family and would be grateful for whatever you wish to contribute here. We would very much like to here about your experiences and history on the Divine Path. Thanks for joining John. God bless......Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Dear John,

Yes we are looking forward to a grand old time at the 100 year anniversary.

love,
Geoff
DennisT
Family

Post by DennisT »

Welcome, John!

I too look forward to hearing from you, and we hope to meet you as well in Washington D.C. In 2014!!

Dennis
lizaduff
Family

Post by lizaduff »

Welcome John! I'm glad you came back and posted again on the site!

Let me introduce you a bit to our friends here: John is the person who put together the first website for the Foundation Church of the New Birth (divinelove.org) many years ago (he worked with Jocelyn Harleston in the early '90's, right John?) and is currently working on our revised site. He is a lovely person, a loving father, a dear soul. He's helping with putting together the 100th anniversary Divine Love retreat in Washington, DC. I feel fortunate to know him.

with love,
elizabeth
JohnThomas
New Friend

Post by JohnThomas »

Hi All -
Thanks for the warm re-welcome!
Regarding my path to the DL - it started back in the '84-'85 when I met Jocelyn Harleston when she was living in Arlington. My wife at the time was temping at Shell (or Texaco?) where Jocelyn was working. She met and befriended Jocelyn then I got to know her. At the time, I think I just finished reading one of Shirley McLean's reincarnation books and was questioning that. I had been raised a Methodist but as a young adult started to "listen" to what we were being taught and developed serious questions and doubts - among them, many of the things that Jesus and Celestials corrected in their messages to Mr. P.
I was going back and forth between having a personal belief in God to being increasingly concerned by the different theologies, inconsistencies, logic problems, etc., from comparative religions to arguments by atheists. I read science and religious books during this period. I remember reading "The Selfish Gene" and nearly majoring in Biology over it - then later reading Dawkins' arguments for atheism. I had read an essay called "Why I Am Not A Christian" by Bertrand Russell which really affected me in a negative way towards my former "Christian" upbringing.
I read Sidhartha(sp?), and some of the Existentialists. I was impacted a lot by C.S. Louis' "The Great Divorce" which, to me, remains the closest fictional representation of what I imagine the journey to God and the Celestial Heaven's might be like: the choice of staying in "hell," the role of free will, and the incompatibility of souls and condition for residing anywhere but where they really belong.
I looked at Eastern religions since it was so popular in the 60s-70s and because I was so influenced by The Beatles and George Harrison. I was turned off by a lot of the "New Age" stuff of the 70s because it seemed to put so much emphasis on the self and the distractions that it brought like astrology, numerology, crystals, vibrations, Tarot cards, etc. And many people I would run into would teach that we humans were "divine." While I never accepted that we were depraved creatures like a lot of old-school Christianity taught, I also didn't think we should put ourselves at the center of everything either. I didn't think we were divine and thought thinking like that was a bit narcissistic. I knew but didn't participate in the EST and other pop psychology movements in that time either and ended up getting very turned off by all of that. I'd like to think that I have a pretty good B.S. meter and gut about what just doesn't seem "right," and after all I read and went back to study over the past 25+ years has not derailed me from the teachings of Jesus through Mr. P.
Everything about the Padgett messages are fair, just, loving, logical and just make sense. So, when I started asking Jocelyn to describe what her faith was, it was a slow but steady education for me. There was no question she could not answer or locate right away in one of the messages in the Volumes. I remember feeling very lucky to have known Jocelyn then because I would never have been exposed to the Truths otherwise and would have gone through life with a vague faith in God but with many troubling and unanswered questions that would have kept me from the opportunity of knowing Him.
Again, the arguments posed in that are explained by Jesus in TGRAbJ - as are really all the questions I had over the years; and I will sometimes watch a debate on YouTube from leading atheists and others who are great debaters - but none stand up to the strength of the messages by Jesus and the Celestials. But had I not known the Truths, I would be very much influenced by the increasing atheism/science movement. What people who have only all OTHER religions as a baseline for faith - it becomes easier to poke holes in them all - and rightfully so as they are all false. If only they had the knowledge and awareness of the Truths, people would see that even the most skillful debater could not overcome them.
I've not been able to influence anyone I've known to follow the Truths and I've always felt a sense of urgency that our faith has not evolved more rapidly. It seems logical to me that if the Truths were presented in a way that speaks to the many people who, like me, were (are) turning away from God because of the growing gulf between "traditional" faith and our emerging knowledge of science, life, etc., that we would capture many people who really want to know the Truths but don't know where or how to find them.
I'm particularly worried about the young generation that is growing up associating a belief in God with ignorance and fanaticism. The media depicts people of faith as "hicks," "red necks," or those who want to "cling to their guns and God." My hope is that we can use the internet and social media to communicate in a way that young people will connect with so they can evolve their feelings and spiritual development by seeing how the Truths are both logical and spiritual. And to communicate in a way that young people need to process information. It is hard to influence people who have been raised in any belief system. Even if they have doubts, it is ingrained in our culture and probably an integral part of our coping and ego mechanisms. How to we disseminate these important Truths in a way young people can process without it being a 30 second YouTube video? And how do we help those who are far along on their personal journeys to open their eyes and ears to the Truths when they are so influenced from a lifetime of false teachings? How do we develop a new generation of DL believers so that they raise their children from the get-go on the right path where generational changes can really take hold?
I'm so grateful to have known Jocelyn and I owe her so much. I'm equally grateful that she and Elizabeth Morana were led to each other. Elizabeth's leadership and faithfulness is something we are very fortunate to have. I feel blessed to know everyone I've met over the years - from those who came out to see Jocelyn in the 80s to new followers of the DL. And I'm so happy to see the internet presence growing.
I'm very excited about the retreat in DC. I wish we had more people here who were followers or even knew about the DL. I wish we had a video teleconference "church" service among other things. I've always wanted to experience the fellowship with our DL believers the way most other faiths do and it's for that reason I hope the efforts to connect with others here in the physical world become even more exponential through the Internet. As technology advances, we will have both increased opportunities to disseminate the Truths AND increased challenges as people continue to turn from ALL matters of faith, and put their trust in human knowledge and potential - and live independently from God.
Thanks again for having this forum. I look forward to getting to know you all better.
John
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Dear John,

Thank you for that most exhaustive post on where you have been and where you are at. It mirrors what so many of us have experienced, and yes I suspect there are millions more but for some reason we don't catch their attention. Well, the celestials have been telling us that will change, and change very soon.

love,
Geoff
Terry Adler
Family

Post by Terry Adler »

Hello John,
How good to meet you through your thoughtful post! I appreciate hearing about your journey to the Truths, and the current challenges as you see them. You pose some excellent questions and prompt me to think that the upcoming Retreats, first in Blackpool, then in Washington, provide us opportunities to share our thoughts about these and other questions that arise on this Path. As the Sanctuary site has shown me, there are many people quietly progressing in their pursuit of the Love who have many gifts to offer one another. It has been a blessing to get to know some of these people through the Retreat Al and Jeanne hosted last July. These new relationships have been, and continue to be, a catalyst for my growth and understanding of the Love, and of myself as a spiritual being. I feel I now have a community of people on the same spiritual wave-length with whom I can share and continue my learning (Elizabeth is one of these dear people!).
You are giving me ideas for how we can spend some of our time together at the Retreats. Imagine what we can come up with if we brainstorm together about how to bring the Truths more fully into the modern world! Thank you again, John!
I hope to meet you in person soon!
With love,
Terry
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Thank you John for your articulate and grounded response and your questions.I think you have a great deal to share and offer to this little forum and I am very glad that you are here. Yes, we do indeed need to solve the dilemma of getting the word out there. This forum is only one little step in what is essentially a life long journey for all of us that are commited to this cause.
Endless journey,endless Love.
jeanne
Family

Post by jeanne »

Hi John!
Welcome again! I hope you will come back and visit us often!! May you find spiritual support and inspiration here as you continue your journey on the Divine Path.
Looking forward to meeting you in Washington (if not in Upper State New York next year!)
Loving wishes, Jeanne
Stay centered in Divine Love and expect miracles to happen!