How do you pray ?

This forum is for all other topics
Helge Mercker
Family

How do you pray ?

Post by Helge Mercker »

Greetings to you, beloved friends.

I wish to share some excerpts of a discussion on “prayer” and wish to encourage everyone to partake in this sharing of “how do you pray?”
I was blessed to attend the Gibsons and Oceanside retreats this summer and many, many blessings I received. These experiences are so enriching and enlivening, I still trying to assimilate as to what happened to me as soul-being. Here I wish to post an exchange with Terry pertaining to our breakout group on “Prayer” at the Gibsons retreat:

Dear Terry,
with regards to prayer and prayerlife, I had the privilege and joy to attend the Oceanside retreat. I was open to experience other ways of prayers esp. through music and song. Wow, was I blown away. The group was so open and willing in sharing individual ways to prayer, what music moves them, what method moves them etc. How the conditions can be set before going into prayer (creating cards of gratitude, reading them out loud to God; let the sounds of crystal bowls reverberate in one's body; singing together in group; etc etc). I was truly moved and felt the Fathers Love flowing, everytime. I usually like the silent prayer, sinking into the stillness of soul being, listening to the whispers of God. If I notice thoughts are creeping in, I lovingly push them aside and focus on the sound of the ringing in my ears (which started after the Australian retreat last year) and somehow I easily reconnect with God. "The gift of service to another is a prayer that opens one to Divine Love" are words I read somewhere and for me they ring so true and service is part of my prayerlife.
This is one of my most beloved topics and it would be great if we could do several write-ups or papers on this. Terry you took notes during the Prayer-breakout group. Is it possible to use the notes for a write up/ essay of sorts ? For me, the cornerstone of teaching the Truths (to anyone, with a religious or non-religious back ground), is to show the way to soulful prayer for Divine Love. The ways and methods are as multifold as there are souls, each prayer as unique as the individual expressing it.
Looking forward to read more on this topic and maybe we, those interested, can collaborate in some way.
Much love ,
Helge.

Dear Helge,
How wonderful to have such diverse prayer experiences at Oceanside!
I love your idea of an essay or write-ups of "How We Pray".
I promised last night to share my notes, so although it is so late here now, I will do so. These are as close to the verbatim comments of participants as I could capture. I will share what was said without identifying the speaker. Then whomever is so inspired can integrate these notes into a write-up or essay. The contribution of each speaker is preceded with a "dash".

- "Everyone's prayer life is unique, so I invite everyone to share about the way(s) in which they pray. How does prayer life become a life of prayer? Prayer is the cornerstone of our path to come to our stillness, to hear God's Voice. B's life is a life lived in prayer, a life of prayer."

-"I pray aloud so Spirit present can hear."

-"I pray to bring Love into each breath, knowing that each breath is a gift from God and connects me to the Creator."

-"Using my voices adds another dimension, a vibration, stronger feeling of connection to my soul, more feelings. Whenever somethings comes in from the minds, I bless it, gently accept it, because the more loving you are to your mind with your soul, the easier it becomes. Total presence in God comes, a stillness in God's Presence. We never know what stirs us in our soul, what will come up. You know you are in the Presence of God when you feel the Peacefulness."

-"I have different kinds of prayer, breaking in and out of my heart centre. Thoughts of gratitude help me stay in my heart, knowing my connection with all."

-"Frequently, I cry when I connect with God. I tell God how I am feeling. I speak out loud, because it is more of a commitment, more effective. Many different energies come and I don't know which is Divine Love. J. walks the prayer, letting his soul cry out. V. and I prayed together with thanksgiving. I can share our compiled music with you through Dropbox. Praying to music and saying phrases from the Bible helps me get out of myself."

-"Most of my prayer life is quiet, no words. I feel my soul longing as an entity that reaches up and connects, and God and I are reaching together. With 'good prayers' (feeling the connection), I sometimes speak out loud. Sometimes inspiration comes in the Grace, the flow of God's Love."

-"I hardly ever use the Prayer. I don't use words. Being grateful, expressing gratitude for everything that is, everything there."

-"I use praying out loud to shut off the inner noise, or I listen to music like "The Power of Your Love", "Create in You a Clean Heart", "I Invite Your Love into My Soul"or I sing and that lays me open and then I can go into a silent prayer."

-"I go to stillness, then start counting blessings, then praise and love."

-"So many people are in need of prayer, so I start out by praying for those in need. I try to bless everyone. I don't feel it through quietness."

-"I am in constant conversation with God in my daily life, asking for support as I am working, asking God to guide me with the person in front of me."

-"My way is gratitude, going to nature, being inspired by nature."

-"I have been praying for God's Divine Love for a short time. I started when I didn't feel worthy of God's Love, wasn't comfortable letting it in. I began by giving it out. Love is for everyone. I am practising feeling worthy of receiving Love, being open to it, often without words."

-"If you look forward to your prayer time and don't want it to stop, you are doing something right."

-"I pray early in the mornings and am often late to work because I don't want it to stop. I need rituals, an opening prayer. I pray thankfully."

-"I pray with words to begin my prayer time, to centre myself, to focus on my soul connection with God, then I try to 'get out of my head' and pray wordlessly, from my soul to the Creator's Soul, sending love and being opening to receiving the Love that is always present. In my deepest prayers, I enter the silence, expand in the Light and the Love and receive impressions. My goal is to bring the Love into every waking moment and I am far from it!"

-"I pray to be used everyday in whatever form He sees fit. I pray when I drive: "in my weakness, You are my strength", "in my humanness, You are everything I lack" because God does not make junk. It is Love-in-action, prayer-in-action. I tune in at prayer times and ask to be transported to that place. God will bring us in our spirit bodies."

-"Spirit have told us it is beneficial for the planet for us to pray together."

-"I identify with the way H. described it, bringing prayer into every moment in life, teach myself to put initiate every moment in life. I am teaching myself longing prayers, because words are not effective."

-"I have a deep love affair with God. I have a playful nature and God meets me there because He created me there."

-"It isn't all about me or my self-will; there is a Power greater than me. I try to be grateful, be thankful for whatever comes to mind when I go through the alphabet. I struggle with my selfishness and self-thoughts and look at God's Will rather than my will. This moment is what is important - right now."

-"How you pray is an expression of who you are. What works for me is visualization. If I have a yearning for something, I visualize myself there."

That's it, Helge! I am sure that with this and your experiences at Oceanside, you will be able to create a useful teaching tool for helping others find their own unique ways to soulful prayer for Divine Love! It is exactly as you say "The ways and methods are as multifold as there are souls, each prayer as unique as the individual expressing it." If I can help, please say the word!
Love,
Terry xxxooo

I hope you enjoyed this exchange and please share on “how do you pray”.
Much love to all,
Helge.
brother dave k.
Family

Re: How do you pray ?

Post by brother dave k. »

That's beautiful Helge, thank you! <3
Maureen
Site Admin

Post by Maureen »

The Life of Prayer,

It's a truly beautiful experience and one that keeps deepening along the path. Isn't it most wonderful to realize that our prayer never needs to be done in a single dose.

Prayer is medicine for the soul - and a few doses a day may stabilizes any symptom or illness :)

Personally, my day feels most grounded when I have a morning prayer which is most often 1 hour opening with a little chat to empty me and then silence when He can fill me. This then sets me up for an "attitude of gratitude". Throughout the day my prayer mantra is: "Thank You, I love You". With this coursing through my heart and mind I have greater possibility of staying in the moment in front of me causing the acknowledgement that God is present in all moments and it's only me that slips out.

I love the moments in the day where one's attitude could perceive a situation as negative - and I have the wisdom to be awake in it .... I will often say aloud (if at home) or under my breath .... "Well, look at this, what an opportunity for kindness/patience/compassion/understanding, Thank You Father for allowing me to build my character." Sometimes, with a little sarcasm if the situation seems kinda "big"

It's a playful nature, one that keeps me in joy especially, in the face of the growing moments! My deepest and most truthful relationship is with our Creator. As I continue to open up with transparency, in prayer, my authenticity in the face of others shines. I just never get too serious about much - well other than ensuring that I am showing up each day the best I can and see you as a soul - looking past the "Meat Suit" (a term one lovely soul identified our bodies with from the Gibson's retreat - was it Elizabeth??)

Thanks for opening the thread Helge and Terry for taking down the notes from this "break out" group. A wonderful opportunity to share with others.

With Love,
Maureen
Eva
Family

Post by Eva »

Thank you Terry for your summary of everyone's comments from the break-out group; and thank you Maureen for your inspiring personal reflection. I think that this kind of sharing is very beneficial for all of us and can help us to learn from one another and grow in our own prayer practice.
Love, Eva
Simon Lovell
New Friend

Post by Simon Lovell »

I am surprised that more people have not entered this discussion on how to pray as it is such a vital important element in the acquiring of The Divine Love. Even Mr. Padgett had his own problems with this so we should not feel unique if we struggle to get the instant results we wish for.
From what I had learnt in regard to meditation, the more inward and silent, the more powerful the effect when one is using a mantra. So does this also hold true with prayer? An interesting method in yoga which was outlined by Patanjali and extremely well described more recently by Yogani in one of his many well written books called Samyama calls for the practitioner to drop words which encapsulate a meaning, like "Divine Love" into the depths of silence whilst in deep meditation. Your soul already understands everything which that word may stand for making the adding of anything else unnecessary.
Knowing this I had thought that saying something more resembling a normal prayer might be a waste of time. However I was wrong. Beseaching our Father to Grace us with his Forgiveness and Divine Love and to remake us in his actual image prior to meditation instantly creates a very noticeable energy build up in my Heart centre which makes the ensuing meditation extremely easy and pleasurable to do as I simply retain my focus on that feeling in my heart. This is so much easier than a mantra, or following ones breath, or listening to the internal AUM which gets a bit loud at times, then disappears just when you need it to focus on.
Something I learnt recently from a book called "The Heartfullness Way by Kamlesh D Patel which I have found to be true is that after doing one's morning meditation, that state may be instantly revisited during the course of the day saving one lots of time as one can just briefly close one's eyes and be back in that quiet place where everything springs from.
Well I hope someone reads this as it's been 3 years since the last entry on this post.
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Thanks Simon for reactivating this discussion about prayer. I think that a book can be written about this subject. I don't believe that there is a prescription for prayer that is universal, since we are all following our unique spiritual path towards at-onenment with God. Of course there are fundamental elements necessary to achieve this goal but the words that we use and the rituals that we follow is left up to us. God doesn't restrict His Love, nor will He deny our heartfelt petition to receive it. If yoga helps, then go for it. Its that heartfelt longing for God and focusing on receiving the blessing of Divine Love into our soul that hits the mark. All else is window dressing for the mind rather than the soul. The gift of Love is simple, direct and without artifice. What inspires the mind and opens one up to receiving from the soul is not the issue, it is being open and receptive to the truth without obscuring the soul from direct connection that must be considered. So yoga is not my thing and does nothing to help me get to God, rather quiet prayer and meditation does the trick. We all have our ways and means. Good luck Simon on your personal journey. What is apparent to me is that our souls are bonded within the journey of receiving this Gift. In that way we are brothers. God bless.......Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
Simon Lovell
New Friend

Post by Simon Lovell »

Hi All
Thanks for you reply. I think it is good to see and hear this diversity of approach as it gives reassurance to those coming later who may possibly be less confident in how to get the best results for themselves. I know I for one have been amending my whole approach to this as I go along as I experience its many facets and forms. One size does not fit all and we are all at varying stages of development and coming from different past disciplines. Personally I like to experiment and test out anything new I have learnt to see if is something I can benefit from. So far I have had many beneficial surprises! For instance the difference it makes when we are praying together which is like a tsunami of prayer energy which has left me fit to burst. Fantastic! I would never have imagined the difference it could make. We are all going to become prayer junky's!
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Become prayer junkys Simon? I've been a prayer junky now for years :mrgreen: and proud of it. The dilemma for our angel friends is that they are happy to be with us in prayer, adding their energies to it, but they do not want us to spend all our time doing so, they need us to go out into the world too. Connection with people opens up the possibility for service as being a channel of love for others is an important part of serving God. Being in my own home grooving on the conditions of peace and respite in love is important but a balance in activities and expressions is also important. Yes, the group prayer services are beautiful. Seeing everyone there allows for a loving connection and certainly increases the power of our prayers. Using technology in this way makes owning these contraptions worthwhile. Another boon to prayer. I'm sure that such sessions will only grow. We are now adding a second online prayer on Tuesdays at 4 PM PST in order to connect with our friends in the Eastern Hemisphere. But NAers can also join as the latest time is 9 PM.
Lovely to have this conversation Simon. I feel your enthusiasm all the way over the pond and to the other side of the continent. Keep it up my friend, much love..........Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
Eva
Family

Post by Eva »

Hello Simon,

I agree with Al that prayer is an individual thing just like any relationship is individual. We each relate to our heavenly Father in our own unique way.

I have had a twice daily prayer practice for close to 50 years, though specifically praying for the Divine Love for about five years. I have understood the transformative work of the Holy Spirit for almost as long and believe to have been receiving God's Love over those decades. Apart from my formal morning and evening prayer that has evolved over the years, one thing that works for me is to ask for God's Love and/or thank God whenever I am not focusing on some mental or physical activity. This can be times of waiting, on a walk, driving on a quiet road or stopping at the lights, taking a break, etc.

Our sister in the community, Catherine Kent, has a you-tube ministry which includes several presentations on prayer and how to pray at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7-Sxm ... CNm4MjbMUg.

I also have several pages on prayer on my website at http://universal-spirituality.net/law-of-prayer/.

Love,
Eva
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Simon Lovell wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:00 pm From what I had learnt in regard to meditation, the more inward and silent, the more powerful the effect when one is using a mantra. So does this also hold true with prayer? An interesting method in yoga which was outlined by Patanjali and extremely well described more recently by Yogani in one of his many well written books called Samyama calls for the practitioner to drop words which encapsulate a meaning, like "Divine Love" into the depths of silence whilst in deep meditation. Your soul already understands everything which that word may stand for making the adding of anything else unnecessary.
Knowing this I had thought that saying something more resembling a normal prayer might be a waste of time. However I was wrong. Beseeching our Father to Grace us with his Forgiveness and Divine Love and to remake us in his actual image prior to meditation instantly creates a very noticeable energy build up in my Heart centre which makes the ensuing meditation extremely easy and pleasurable to do as I simply retain my focus on that feeling in my heart. This is so much easier than a mantra, or following ones breath, or listening to the internal AUM which gets a bit loud at times, then disappears just when you need it to focus on.
Something I learnt recently from a book called "The Heartfullness Way by Kamlesh D Patel which I have found to be true is that after doing one's morning meditation, that state may be instantly revisited during the course of the day saving one lots of time as one can just briefly close one's eyes and be back in that quiet place where everything springs from.
Dear Simon,

As I understand from off-forum communications with you that your question related to the fact that you are well versed and practised in Kundalini Energies, and you have been using that, as a starter, to trigger connection with God because you can "press the button" very easily. But you wondered if it was "right" to do so.

I then suggested you read this message from Yogananda:

Pathways of Consciousness

Now I did not send you there to answer your question, merely to set the background, as such we might understand it. I have to say that before Yogananda came to my home this November past, we knew very little about the real interaction of the natural love path and the soul path. And we still know little, only the inklings of it. To be honest the only answer to your question I would trust, is if Yogananda or Sri Yukestwar answers. But this is how I see it.

To obtain Divine Love we have to reach out to God in Natural Love. Because that's how we start. Now we know Kundalini Energy is "natural path" energy. Does that mean its a trigger for natural love? Perhaps it is. I would be inclined to think that it is. If that is true, then it could indeed help.

If it is, what you are doing would be a good way to begin, and perhaps even to continue. But the message from Yogananda really does indicate you need to set your INTENTION to connect to God via the soul, and not the mind. So I can't say with certainty if the Kundalini Energy is a great assistance, neutral here, or a barrier. Perhaps we might get some Celestial input to answer that?

hugs
Geoff