Magnetic Pole flips and the impact on the electrical grid

This forum is for all other topics
Shorebreak
New Friend

Re: Magnetic Pole flips and the impact on the electrical grid

Post by Shorebreak »

I have been somewhat familiar with this problem, but this thread brings it into a much closer (and more depressing) focus. I would hope that as the time approaches (i.e., before we enter 2025) we will get additional updates. It would certainly be good to have a date certain (or even a month certain) in a matter of this type. I think for most of us, there is really no refuge that would outlast the duration (and the neighbors). I am in a fairly rural area, but not far enough out to outlast the impact of an event like this by pure preparation. Besides, discussions of a pending apocalypse have been floating around for quite a while now. And, as many have pointed out, as Christians we will have a duty to show compassion for other folks. We may "talk tough"--but when a starving family with children comes can we do otherwise? Ultimately, I would expect some of my family in the vicinity to escape to my location. Even without outsiders I would not be surprised if the old-timers like me give up food to keep the younger generation and grandkids going. I hate to say it, but ultimately something quick would be much kinder than something lingering. It would also leave a lot of unused food stocks for the survivors to live on while trying to get crops going, etc.
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Dear ShoreBreak

Welcome. Yes I also would like some warning, and would frankly feel let down if I don't get adequate warning but I have prepared as best I can for every eventuality. It required me to sell my apartment in the city and move to the country with sufficient land to made a fair effort of being able to at least grow some food, plus my chickens. I also live in a small village where many people grow more than they can eat, and share for free. And yes I have a lot of food stocks - nonperishable. I certainly expect my neighbours and their beautiful young daughters will be knocking on my door for assistance. As we are two hours by car from Sydney, I doubt Sydneysiders will be turning up if all they have for transport is bicycles or shanks pony. Its about 100 miles.

Only this week I think I may have added the final touch to my preparations. I bought an 8 day mechanical clock. I personally am no longer sure the meltdown will be via a CME type event, but my preferred alternative - the photon belt is very similar. The huge difference is that we would be in perpetual daylight after the initial three or four days of darkness. I thought a mechanical clock might be very useful through absolute darkness when all our battery driven clocks stop, as also if we go into perpetual sunshine, it will take some time for us to cope with that, and knowing the historical timing because the earth will still rotate, but we probably won't have anything to tell us where we are in the 24 hour rotation. I have not discussed the photon belt idea here, as I know some Divine Love followers do not find any resonance with the message I tend to share regarding our guidance.

In the early stages I made some significant preparations that may indeed be useless. That is I am wholly independent of the power grid, having enough batteries and solar to operate continuously without the grid. That was fine if I survived a CME hit here, but, if as we were told more recently, those batteries won't work in the photon belt, so I rather suspect the whole system may not function at all.

However what I do believe, is that at the end of the meltdown our space friends will turn up with millions of space craft. Its not as if they have to travel far, although that itself is not an issue to them. There are in orbit around the Earth at the moment over 1 million craft. We can't see them because they have the ability to bend light such that they remain hidden. In the US I think its very unlikely these folks intent on helping will get a warm reception. And I am not sure what their plans are if their help is refused (at the end of a gun!) But I know I will be out there looking up to the skies expecting help. I cant wait to get my hands on a photon energy generator to power my house with eternal free energy.

Geoff
Shorebreak
New Friend

Post by Shorebreak »

Hi Geoff,

We do go through hurricanes on a fairly regular basis where I live, so I have some familiarity with how to cope in that situation. But that is a relatively short-lived power outage, even if it lasts a week or more, compared to what is being discussed.

For short duration we have propane cookers and sterno for cooking and heating water. But I'll have to check into stocking up on these items, candles, and food stuffs. Do you have suggestions re the last? The woods will supply wood for our fireplace if needed to combat cold weather (though our area of Florida is pretty warm and we haven't used it for years with the warming trend over the last 20 years).

In any case, one of the biggest problems (after clean air) is clean water. We have a deep well. If I can run the pump once a day for long enough to fill up bath-tubs and containers, we will have basic water supplies for clean as well as sanitary/toilet uses for as long as fuel lasts. However, that raises the question of how to safeguard even such a simple item from something that seems like it may be equivalent to an EMP event or massive power surge? The same is true for vehicles and household overall. Should the main breaker for the house be disengaged until the event has subsided? Should batteries and spark plugs be disconnected until the event subsides?

I'd like to do solar, but that will take a while and more money than I have at the moment. But as in a hurricane, better to be semi-prepared than not prepared at all. Speaking of which, what about weather? Is an event like this likely to cause high winds, storms, etc.?

Best,
Shorebreak

PS--I will probably need to stock up on 22 ammo and shotgun shells for small game, birds and buck shot for deer and hog. I am not really a gun guy or a hunter, but people around here do hunt in season, and long term (if we have one) we may be living more of a frontier type existence. So, the 22 rifle and shotgun may prove handy. Btw--if you have any familiarity with the book/movie "The Yearling" you will have a good idea of what frontier life was like in my area.
PPS--I just wish the older generation had not all passed. My wife's relatives knew how to farm this area and live off of the land. We are all, unfortunately, from a much "tamer" generation.
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

I have prepared for a different scenario. One where no battery driven items will work. We were told that generators would work, and I have a generator and fuel, but that can't last too long. I would bring some firewood close to the house in case i am right and we have about 24 hours of artic weather - all over the world. I suggest getting some stored water - it does not go off. Maybe one of those very small rainwater tanks and just fill it up. have candles, matches or lighters. Have rice, dried beans, pasta, tinned fish, tinned veg, maybe some dried camping meals, lentils, all the usual soap, salt, pepper, spices (for bland food) cleaning and toiletry stuff, heaps of toilet paper. Pet food. A plan if the toilet has no mains water to flush. A second plan is in case the mains toilet waste backs up. A wood burning hot water system - not essential in Florida. Heaps of rain water in big tanks. Worked out a gravity flow system for it. Just recently got a mechanical clock. I do have 44 gallons of diesel but anticipate that modern diesel engines cant be started without a battery. Would have liked a 60+ year old low compression tractor started by crank. Bicycles. The biggest threat in your scenario is simply the really high voltage transmission lines destroyed by a low DC current induced into very long transmission lines. If electronic stuff is fried by CMEs, I think you just have to accept that. Its possible to build Faraday cages, but you cant live like that. Oh I have hurricane lamps too already fueled and ready to be lit.

But you are right. Only a few decades back and the old people would know what to do.