Failing the great commandment

This forum is for all other topics
BethM
Site Admin

Failing the great commandment

Post by BethM »

So there's this scripture in the Bible:
“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.
And it's turned up in at least one Padgett message.

I am not sure how many people come to the Divine Love path being epic failures at this commandment, but I would be one of them. And I'm starting to think that while loving God with all your heart and soul and mind may not necessarily be a pre-requirement for receiving Divine Love, it's probably pretty helpful. And I'm also thinking that there's a connection with the quote from Judas I highlighted the other day: "However, beliefs that take away from men the knowledge of their own worthiness: such beliefs also block the door to an awareness of the greater world." As in, if you had a less-than-ideal upbringing and have a hardened heart, getting to this place of love -- for yourself, for others, for God -- turns out be be hard.

It occurred to me yesterday that the difference in the Divine Love path between me and someone who learned this great love for God early is like the difference between an arranged marriage and 'love at first sight'/soulmates. The two couples may wind up in the same place, but their early experiences are very different!

Anyways, thought I'd raise it here. Part of me wonders if it's something that might be helpful to explore in the context of other potential newcomers. Frankly, I'm a year into my three-week Divine Love experiment and still waiting to physically experience God's love. Perhaps I am and it's just my expectations are for something more. Then again, a while back, Geoff suggested A Course in Miracles for people "who have had a traumatic life which has scarred the psyche ... are having difficulty opening your soul to accept Divine Love, ... [or] where self esteem has been damaged, or the ego is running rampant."

As with everything else, I'm guessing the answer to this is more prayer. So I've recently taken to starting off my prayer with a request for the inflowing of Divine Love, but I am also adding a fervent prayer to "know God and love God" (paraphrased from a prayer by St Anselm). But I'm also wondering if energy work like reiki could be helpful. Or maybe it's all just a lesson in patience.

But if anyone has any other ideas, do tell ... inquiring minds and all that. :)
Geoff
Family

Re: Failing the great commandment

Post by Geoff »

BethM wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:55 pm I am not sure how many people come to the Divine Love path being epic failures at this commandment, but I would be one of them. And I'm starting to think that while loving God with all your heart and soul and mind may not necessarily be a pre-requirement for receiving Divine Love, it's probably pretty helpful.
The book Al loves to hate, the Urantia Book has an EPIC quote:
Urantia Book wrote:3:4.6 (50.4) Mortal man cannot possibly know the infinitude of the heavenly Father. Finite mind cannot think through such an absolute truth or fact. But this same finite human being can actually feel - literally experience - the full and undiminished impact of such an infinite Father’s LOVE. Such a love can be truly experienced, albeit while quality of experience is unlimited, quantity of such an experience is strictly limited by the human capacity for spiritual receptivity and by the associated capacity to love the Father in return.
Its absolutely related to HOW MUCH LOVE you can receive at any time.
BethM wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:55 pmBut I'm also wondering if energy work like reiki could be helpful.
It seems some people can get some help from mindal practises. Certainly thats "the AJ way". But it is our wounds that prevent us loving. Loving ourselves, and therefor loving Father. And we have lots on healing wounds spiritually. Thats the route I take, and believe others should.

hugs
Geoff
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Thanks Beth for your candid remarks here. I would say that at least 40% of those who have taken up the challenge to pray for an inflowing of Divine Love have some trouble feeling it in the moment. All of us at some point have also had this trouble. My own experience has been inconsistent and has reflected not my desire for it but my receptivity to it. Spirit have consistently said that the material mind gets in the way. Any time that I've been obsessing or deeply engaged in thoughtful challenges or mindful pursuits, I come up short with a sense of vacancy and numbness where that sweet warmth is so desirable. Its frustrating and perplexing but it has been a true reflection of my present state of being. This does not mean that I haven't received the gift of God's Love in that moment but that I could not detect its presence in a palpable way. I am what is called a kinesthetic person so I feel things a lot in my body. When I'm 'in harmony" I feel plenty and sometimes our Angel Friends will intervene and bring in some intense energy and perception.

Beginning anything new is always difficult. You have great competencies of the mind and that has lead to your profession. Immersing yourself in something where mind abilities are not particularly relevant is, I'm sure, a great challenge. But your soul REALLY wants this and a breakthrough is inevitable. I've had the added advantage of psychic abilities so it is much easier and I have not been in a position to need a deep intellect in order to do my job. My life has been very different from yours Beth and our life's journey reflects our soul's gifts and challenges. We're all different. You will get there since you are well more than half way to the goal's you aspire to. Just a few more steps my friend and the doors will open wide. Keep up your vigil and I know that it will bring what you most desire. Much love.......Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
BethM
Site Admin

Post by BethM »

Thanks Al & Geoff ... appreciate the responses. In my AM prayer today, I had the thought that "love is the tuner" ... which is related to the idea that God's sharing His Love 24 x 7, and our biggest challenges are being able to tune in to the right frequency (a la the old car radio tuners).

But I'm also encouraged by the fact that spirit does seem to be motivating me despite my mind's whining and grousing. :D I'm grateful to have this community for support!!
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Yup, tuning in is part of the experience. We had a recent message from James on this subject and will share it here;

Title: Recognizing Receipt of Divine Love in Your Soul (2019 Online Prayer Circles)
Spirit: James
Medium: Al Fike
Date: January 10, 2020

God bless you, it is James. You ask about the nature of the soul. Indeed, as each of your minds continue to ruminate on this Truth, the existence of your own soul, you continue to try to find ways of defining that which is indefinable, that part of you that exists and yet for many of you it is so elusive to truly separate the experience of the mind and the senses with experience of knowing your own soul. It is difficult for you to recognize that place that is so much a part of you, the very essence of who you are. Yet, because the soul and the energies of the soul infuse all of you, it is difficult to delineate what that presence, existence and experience is.

Yet, as you continue to receive the Blessing of the Father’s Love, so you will come to recognize within you that chamber, that place that exists that is receiving this gift of Divine Love. Some of you do indeed experience different sensations of warmth, an expansion, an upliftment, a sense of joy when you receive this Gift of Divine Love. These sensations and experiences keep you returning to God, to the Fountainhead of all Love. For when a soul has tasted the Living Waters of God, there is a deep desire for more, to receive more, to come to be within the awakened place of a soul touched by God.

For those of you who have difficulty feeling these sensations of recognizing this unique experience, I say to you that you are indeed receiving this Gift whether there is an awareness, a sensation, a mindful recognition of such. It is true, some are more sensitive than others. Some have a natural inclination and gift to recognize experiences of their own souls. Some are so engaged with their minds that they can feel little else but that which their minds perceive and their bodies experience.

Yet even those who come to this experience without any definitive recognition of it are drawn and continue to seek this Gift from God. So indeed their souls are communicating with their conscious self, sending forth this desire to receive more of the Gift that God has to give. Each of you in your own way will experience what it is within that is called soul. Yet, will you be able to explain and to articulate what that is? Undoubtedly it will be difficult. For how can you explain that which is beyond words and beyond the recognition and intellectualisation of the mind to define its existence?
Jesus spoke of faith when he taught so many years ago on this Earth about the experience of receiving God’s Love. He talked of faith, he talked of believing and trusting that this Gift is bestowed through prayer. It is that desire that reflects a prayer to God to receive this Gift that is faith, trusting that God will indeed respond and give to you this Gift of His Love.

Your experiences, my friends, will evolve and change, shift and open as you continue to receive this Gift. It is inevitable that some experience some awareness dawning within each of you that will confirm for your minds and your deep need to know that this Gift is real, that this Gift is palpable, that this Gift will grow and glow within you bringing a warmth to the soul that was not there before. When you feel this warmth, when you feel a change, a shift of joy within you, know that this is your soul communicating with you. This is your conscious self allowing that communication.
The mental yearning to know your own soul is part of your awakening, my friends. But it is the yearning of your own soul, that which is beyond the mind, that has brought you here and brought you to that place of prayer and longing. As you allow your souls to awaken within their own time and way, the answers will come. The knowings will be realised and accepted. God continually works upon your soul because His Essence resides within. With this Essence working upon your soul, changing your soul, healing your soul, awakening your soul, these understandings will become evident and clear.

Often you are frustrated and blame the workings of your mind condemning this faculty because it stands in the way of this sure knowledge of soul. I say to you, my friends, God has given you great gifts including your mind. But indeed, there are many other gifts, many other aspects of your being that are waiting to be awakened so that you may indeed see for yourselves the great capacities of your being, the great gifts that God has given to each one of you to experience, not only the material life, but a deep and rewarding spiritual life and relationship with God.

These are coming. Be patient, my friends. Be patient and faithful and trusting that God will indeed bring to you all that you require to know your own true selves and to know God in all His wonderment and glory. These things will come in time.

May you be blessed with perfect sight of all Truth, perfect knowing of soulful things, perfect understanding of who you truly are and how your place in a wondrous Universe, full of God’s Creation. May God bless you with His Love, a constant inflowing into your soul, bring you to that place of awakening, of joy, of truly loving and being in the Grace of God’s Love.

God bless you, my friends. I am James and my love is with you. God bless you.

2020-01-10-AF-James
Endless journey,endless Love.
BethM
Site Admin

Post by BethM »

Yes, thanks for the transcript of that message ... I was on that circle and remember thanking Charlie for his prayer request that was the inspiration!