Teacher vs. Preacher

This forum is for all other topics
PlenaryGrace
Family

Teacher vs. Preacher

Post by PlenaryGrace »

Hello All!

Our beloved Master, brother and friend - Jesus - was a teacher. What is the difference between a teacher and a preacher? Of course, I can "google" this question, but, I seek the Divine Love perspective. Thoughts?

Love,
Catherine
Geoff
Family

Re: Teacher vs. Preacher

Post by Geoff »

Dear Cate,

A preacher shares what he or she has learned elsewhere and is reliant on that source for its veracity. In other words, I don't believe a preacher KNOWS at a soul level that what he or she preaches is Truth, even though they will claim it because of the supposed authenticity of its exterior source.

A teacher can teach because he or she actually knows. Jesus was the first to teach almost all that he did teach. He learnt it from Father of course, but he had an awakened soul, so he KNEW.

But I think the lines often blur, but to me this should be the difference.

hugs
Geoff
PlenaryGrace
Family

Post by PlenaryGrace »

That feels just right, Geoff!

From an orthodox perspective (I did still "google"), a preacher proclaims and a teacher explains. This makes intellectual sense, but, your answer resonates with my soul. I like it! Thank you!

Love,
Cate
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

I believe that a teacher will try to engage you in conversation about truth and draw you to the font of realization rather than talk at you as is the tendency of preachers. The teacher shares their wisdom where the preacher regurgitates what truth they have learned second hand. Both may bless another with insight but a teacher is more authentic in their message IMHO ...........Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
Eva
Family

Post by Eva »

To me it would be more about the style of presentation rather than the source or authenticity of the information, or as Catherine said: "Preacher proclaims, teacher explains."

Gifted teachers can really make information simple, interesting and easy to understand. They can use analogies, and other language tools to make things clear. For example, Jesus often drew on things of nature or human relationships to illustrate spiritual realities and make them more understandable at the human level.

Preachers don't just explain, they exhort, correct, and try to stir to change or action by their message. A lot of emotion can be involved and transferred to the listeners, and yes, as Al says, they can talk at you rather then to you. I'd venture to say that the Bible has examples where Jesus would have used a preaching style, for example in his discourse to the Pharisees in Matthew 23.

I believe that both teaching and preaching can involve authenticity and conviction on the part of the speaker. The degree of truthfulness of his/her message would depend on the source.

Love,
Eva