Second Edition Volume I

This forum is for all other topics
Geoff
Family

Second Edition Volume I

Post by Geoff »

I now have this very elusive volume with the title "Messages from Jesus" on the cover, and subtitled "True Gospel Revealed Anew from Jesus" inside. Previously we only knew of it, because Joan Warden managed to borrow it from the US Library system. And yes, it has different typesetting. With the errata having been applied, its more correct than the 1941 First Edition. Think of that, the type setting was enormously expensive, yet the book was re-typeset at one point, and then those plates were never used again? Why? What happened here?

In the Third Edition of 1956 its back to the 1941 plates, with no corrections. However the whole history is confusing, because in the 1956 publication Dr Stone calls it the fourth edition. And gives no dates for the prior editions. But by 1958, which by my count is the Fourth Edition, we have the very same sentence saying its also the "fourth edition", but it has new copyright dates. And of course the currently available Volume I is also dated 1958 but has a different title: "True Gospel Revealed Anew By Jesus". It seems clear that Dr Stone did not care much for publishing protocols and edition naming conventions.

You can tell the different typesetting by comparing any page, as they don't line up the same, although the font face is different too. What makes this volume a bit untidy, is that Dr Stone obviously used the original 1941 book when writing his newer introductions for this volume, and refers to page numbers which towards the end of this volume are wrong. Because of the typesetting differences.

Also frustrating is the book has no date of publication and no publisher information. This might well be a volume Victor Summers came by, because he complained of that very thing. The original owner of this copy (Winnifred Coleman, of Sudbury has pasted Dr Stones address inside the cover, so that she would not lose that info.

We think this is a 1950 volume, but its a guess. The good news is also that because of this lack of info, you could buy this book cheaply, because the seller wont know what it is. Equally you do need to know a few things about it to identify it, like the page count - 366 pages.

hugs
Geoff