Origin of the Trinity and Jesus' Divinity Teachings

This forum is for all other topics
Eva
Family

Origin of the Trinity and Jesus' Divinity Teachings

Post by Eva »

Recently I came across a well-researched and very interesting article about how Jesus' original teachings were suppressed already at the end of the first century and how the Nicene and Constantinople Church Councils arrived at the conclusions that have since then become widely taught "Christian" creeds. It is quite revealing.

The link is https://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools/b ... y-doctrine and here are the concluding paragraphs:

... Theology professors Anthony and Richard Hanson summarize the story in their book Reasonable Belief: A Survey of the Christian Faith by noting that the adoption of the Trinity doctrine came as a result of “a process of theological exploration which lasted at least three hundred years . . . In fact it was a process of trial and error (almost of hit and miss), in which the error was by no means all confined to the unorthodox . . . It would be foolish to represent the doctrine of the Holy Trinity as having been achieved by any other way” (1980, p. 172).

They then conclude: “This was a long, confused, process whereby different schools of thought in the Church worked out for themselves, and then tried to impose on others, their answer to the question, ‘How divine is Jesus Christ?’ . . . If ever there was a controversy decided by the method of trial and error, it was this one” (p. 175).

Anglican churchman and Oxford University lecturer K.E. Kirk revealingly writes of the adoption of the doctrine of the Trinity: “The theological and philosophical vindication of the divinity of the Spirit begins in the fourth century; we naturally turn to the writers of that period to discover what grounds they have for their belief. To our surprise, we are forced to admit that they have none . . .

“This failure of Christian theology . . . to produce logical justification of the cardinal point in its trinitarian doctrine is of the greatest possible significance. We are forced, even before turning to the question of the vindication of the doctrine by experience, to ask ourselves whether theology or philosophy has ever produced any reasons why its belief should be Trinitarian” (“The Evolution of the Doctrine of the Trinity,” published in Essays on the Trinity and the Incarnation, A.E.J. Rawlinson, editor, 1928, pp. 221-222).

Love,
Eva
jeanne
Family

Re: Origin of the Trinity and Jesus' Divinity Teachings

Post by jeanne »

Wow! Thank you for this, Eva!

I've never been a biblical scholar nor did I ever attend church growing up but I always wondered how these doctrines could become so broadly accepted in today's world since the politics have changed since they originated. It's good to know this research is indeed happening....may the authors' findings and assertions grow in Truth and acceptance!

Are you going to write in response? Please keep us posted if you do! I think there's an opportunity for you to shine your light and wisdom!

thanks again and God Bless,
Love Jeanne
Stay centered in Divine Love and expect miracles to happen!
Eva
Family

Post by Eva »

No, Jeanne, I am not planning to write in response. This is not a forum or blog, but more of an educational website, so it doesn't lend itself to discussion. They are non-mainstream and do have quite a few things right, but not everything. But the article I mentioned is very good and much in line with what has been revealed to us.
Love,
Eva
PlenaryGrace
Family

Post by PlenaryGrace »

I second Jeanne's WoW! This is great stuff, Eva! THANK YOU for posting!

Much Love,

Catherine
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Dear Eva,

Yes that is very interesting. I don't doubt a lot of thought went into it, but sadly probably not much prayer. If they had actually understood some of the things that happened in the light of what spiritualists know, I don't think they would have made so many mistakes. Like the "resurrection" easy if you know that spirit can materialise.

hugs
Geoff