Diet and Exercise

This forum is for all other topics
Brooke
Family

Re: Diet and Exercise

Post by Brooke »

A sincere thank you to all who leave their comments on this topic.
With a 90 year old mother who needs to maintain her 95 to 100 lb's, I have all kinds of nibble food for her
and the resolve to stay away from those nibble foods have been good. I have my nibbles too and do need
to substitute my pretzels and chips with nuts and veggie munchies.
PlenaryGrace
Family

Post by PlenaryGrace »

Excellent, well rounded advice Susan!! Thank you for chiming in!

I want to second your comments about not limiting good fats, even real butter. I have been thin all my life and have eaten precisely as you recommend until going vegan about two years ago (which I love, BTW). I never ate "low fat" anything, because I am strict about reading every label, every time (because ingredients do change) and low fat foods nearly always stray from whole foods. I can state unequivocally that eating fat has never made me fat, and it IS vital for brain functioning. Once upon a time, homemade macaroni and cheese and even fried chicken and mashed potatoes with extra gravy were favorites (though in the 20%).

Lastly, a bit of history: The entire "low fat" craze was based upon a single flawed study conducted in the '80's. Sadly, it went "viral" before that word was even in vogue. As a result, fat was replaced with sugar and other toxic junk in a hopelessly failed attempt to preserve some flavor after removing the fat. That's when weight gain in America really spiked! It makes me feel sad.

Anyway...on a lighter note...now that I'm eating GF vegan, I make nearly all my own meals from whole, organic foods. I'm eating more wholesome, nutritious food than ever before, and my grocery bill has dropped 30%!! I spend about $26 a week (just for me), and I *always* have lots of yummy food and food left over before I shop again. I shop at Whole Foods, so, it's a myth that it's more expensive to go organic. You just have to prepare everything yourself (which, I admit, does take time). I devote a few hours each weekend to food preparation for the week, but, then I eat well for every meal, all week. With the weekend preparation, meals and even snacks during the week are fast and convenient! I suits me very well!

Love,

Catherine
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

I've seen you eat Catherine and you do indeed pack it away. At least in Queens :) . I wish that I could eat like you without the consequences. I love food, and I have a healthy appetite, so hence the extra poundage. I am not vegetarian and I eat just about everything. Yes, real butter, I have to stay away from sugar but eat lots of fruit. Now that it is summer I am happily harvesting fresh broccoli, raspberries, kale, lettuce and soon carrots, cauliflower,squash,beats and then tomatoes, cucumber and basil from the greenhouse. I love eating from my own garden and this year has been exceptional for its bounty. Apples, figs, prune plums and blackberries are all coming up. If I could eat this way all year around, I think that I would lose a few pounds. When I walk up my steep hill for several blocks on my regular 3 mile hike, I don't have to stop to catch my breath. If I'm not walking, I'm gardening. If I'm not gardening, I'm writing. Presently I'm writing a book on Divine Love mediumship. I hope to have it ready for a book launch in Phoenix for this September. I turn 65 in a few weeks and I think that for a guy my age I'm faring well, not really well, but well enough. Life is all about balance and engagement. Without a good spiritual foundation, physical health and well being and a zest for life, all parts of us begin to diminish. I feel good because my life, though not perfect, is working well. I simply love my life right now and I'm always eager for the next step.God bless......Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
PlenaryGrace
Family

Post by PlenaryGrace »

Since this topic includes exercise, I decided to add my thoughts. Staying active is most important. The "use it or lose it" principle has some validity.

A little about whence I speak: I've been active all my life. As a child and teenager, I used my bicycle daily (for transportation and amusement). In highschool and college I danced and did aerobics. For twenty-five years after college, I exercised 4-5 times a week, diligently. I've gone to gyms, and worked out at home, both with and without equipment.

The single most important rule I follow is: Slow and Steady Wins the Race! Consistency without over-doing-it has always brought the results I sought: FEELING GREAT, and being able to DO what I want to do! I've seen many people over-do and then lose their momentum and worse, sustain injuries. More injuries result from exercise than you would believe!

Walking is better than running. When you "power walk" you use more muscles than when running, and it's much easier on your joints. For twenty years, power-walking on the treadmill (3.8--4.2 mph) was my go-to aerobic workout. I used to jog a short ways when I needed to rest! (easier than walking at that pace) :lol:

Gentle stretching has always been a part of my daily routine. I believe it's the single most important movement, besides generally staying "active" (not sedentary, anyway).

As I'm getting older, I'm more mindful of my joints, and I find yoga, stretching, and regular walks suit me well. At least for now. I'd love to get back to the gym one day, but, my day-job saps me some.

Weight training is a really good idea...just be sloooow and steady; watch your form! Use lighter weights and more repetitions. Unless you're a body builder, there's no reason to do otherwise. I'm training for "life" not looks, and I find this approach works really well. It builds strength and avoids injury.

Important to note: I always move deliberately and mindfully enough to hear what my body is "saying" to me. And I honor its voice. For this reason, personal trainers do not work for me; the "people pleaser" in me gets in the way. Instead, I learn from them when I see them guiding someone else (at the gym), and/or I study online and in books...and then practice on my own.

Helpful Hint 1: If you don't like to exercise, be sure to either play music that makes you feel like dancing, or, bring a friend. For me, music especially makes all the difference!

Helpful Hint 2: This one is from a friend of mine and it kept me going strong for those 25 years I mentioned...if you don't feel up to exercising, just dress out. You will almost always find the motivation to do something, once you've dressed out. Life gets in the way, and your routine will be broken. Regularly. This simple nudge to 'just dress out' really works. Sometimes that's almost all I'd do. I felt silly about it, but, I called it "honoring the process." I was at least taking time to pay attention to exercise. Worth a try, right!?

Lastly: Rest is every bit as important as exercise. <3

Much Love,

Catherine
PlenaryGrace
Family

Post by PlenaryGrace »

Hi Al! I must have been writing on exercise when you popped in. You are right, I'm not shy about eating! Your garden sounds delicious...and being able to walk that hill without becoming short of breath speaks for itself. :D

Good health is a blessing, and of course (as you said), it begins in the soul.

Love,

Catherine
PlenaryGrace
Family

Post by PlenaryGrace »

...oh...I don't know, Al...now that I think about it...if you did eat like me (GF Vegan), you would probably like the consequences. ;) :lol:
Eva
Family

Post by Eva »

Thanks Susan, Al and Catherine -- I am basically on the same page with you re balance, engagement in life, exercise, rest and a healthy diet. May what we do physically help us in our health, which I believe does help us on our spiritual path.
Love,
Eva