First Edition Vol I

This forum is for all other topics
Geoff
Family

First Edition Vol I

Post by Geoff »

My ebay purchase, for $10 of a 1941 first edition Vol I has now arrived. Title of this hard cover is "True Gospel Revealed Anew from Jesus." Needless to say, I am very happy with this purchase. What is the more amazing, is that I have been looking a few years now, for old editions, and I only look a few times a year. Yet I suddenly on a Friday morning I decided to look, and I found this book 2 hours after it listed for auction. I was the only bidder, and its clear the seller had no idea its a First Edition. Anyway, it was originally sold in Lillydale NY, and owned by a Mary-Dean O'Connor from 1945 who must have read it very closely because it has a lot of pencil annotations.

hugs
Geoff
AlFike
Site Admin

Re: First Edition Vol I

Post by AlFike »

Congratulations Geoff. Is this an answer to prayer or persistance? Maybe both. I will look forward to seeiong it in person in a few weeks. Cheers.....Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

By the way Geoff. I was looking at our Padgett Volumes 111 &1V and they state that they are first editions. Do we have a treasure trove on our hands? Maybe worth $20 ? ;) .
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

No, the First Edition of Vol III is 1969 and was also the last printing, and the First Edition of Vol IV was 1972 and again it is the last printing. Interestingly the real First Edition, the Vol I of 1941, was not identified as Volume 1, nor as a First Edition, nor does it have the same title as later editions. But hard copy Vol IV's are becoming hard to find, IMHE.

hugs
Geoff
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Well my first edition arrived, and last night I decided to recover it to protect it. In taking off the old cover, I found glued to the inside front a snippet of an advertisement which presumably was how the owner came by the book. This identified the original publisher, something we have never known, because it was never in any of the books. It was Aldershot Publishers, 1617 21st Street, N.W. Washington D.C. Now that's where Dr Stone lived, and Aldershot is where he was born in the UK. So he was running ads to sell the books. And probably he just made up that name, to make it sound good?

Then, in a way that still amazes me, I decided to look for the even rarer Second Edition Vol I. And I found a book which was a Vol I, but insufficient details were available to know what exactly it was. So I asked for a page count. And bingo, I just found the most elusive of all, a 1950 Second Edition Vol I. So exciting. This will complete my collection. Other than a paperback Vol I, I have them all.

hugs

Geoff
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

That sounds impressive Geoff. I will look forward to seeing your library in a few weeks. Merry Christmas to you dear friend. I hope the holidays are easy on your waist line. An issue for me that is an ever present challenge. God bless for now.....Al
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

And a Merry Christmas to you and Jeanne and all who read here.

hugs
Geoff