Grandpa suffering from Alzheimers...

This forum is for all other topics
Pamela_dsuza
New Friend

Grandpa suffering from Alzheimers...

Post by Pamela_dsuza »

Hi everyone, I am in a dilemma. My grandpa was an army officer. He retired five years back. He was a strong person and to my belief, I've never seen him worried in any situation. But unfortunately for the last six months, he has been suffering from Alzheimer's.
He is staying with us and we have appointed a caretaker from one of the senior care services to look after him. The caretaker is a nice lady and she stays with us. Off late he has a strong appetite for food and often asks for food at odd times of the day. Last day an interesting incident took place. The caretaker gave him a cotton cloth to wipe his fingers after giving the medicines. Mistaking it for food, he popped it into his mouth. The nurse tried all possible ways to stop him from swallowing it, but he turned aggressive and hurled abusive words. This is not the first time he is doing such things.
We are just worried about his behavior and mood swings. Has anyone confronted such a situation before? What are the things you could do in such situations? Please share your views. Keep my grandpa in your prayers. Thanks.
jeanne
Family

Re: Grandpa suffering from Alzheimers...

Post by jeanne »

Dear Pamela,
So sorry to hear about your grandpa's situation. We can offer prayerful support but I think you could find more practical support for your grandpa, yourself and your family through an Alzheimers support organization. Perhaps some folks here can share stories about how prayers have made a difference with a family member suffering from alzheimers? We are praying for you and your grandpa, Pamela. God bless you and lead you to the best help and support you can possibly get in your area. With loving wishes, Jeanne
Stay centered in Divine Love and expect miracles to happen!
dmreed2
Family

Post by dmreed2 »

Hi Pamela,

I know how difficult it can be to care for someone who has Alzheimer's or Dementia. I share Jeanne's suggestion that you consult with organizations or senior services that can provide expert advice and even help support you and your grandfather during this difficult transition in his life while the disease progresses. It may be time or close to it for your grandfather to be placed in a facility that has experience with taking care of the elderly and knowledgeable and experienced with handling those elderly residence who have Alzheimer's. One of the techniques they use to help sooth and calm the elderly residence with Alzheimer's it to play music for them. Music that they know and that is from their generation. Some facilities even provide a MP3 player with headphones to the Alzheimer's residence so they can listen to the music for extended periods of time. Music touches the soul, regardless of how far removed the mind has become do to disease, so I would highly recommend looking into this. There is one other aspect of your grandfathers situation that I need to address. You said that he served in the military. We know from Jesus, God and through the many messages that have been received that military service is sinful. God has never and will never approve of the taking of a human life for any reason. What your grandfather is going through with Alzheimer's is likely the result of Gods law of compensation. You see, when we sin, especially grievous sins such as military service, Gods law of compensation goes into affect in order to heal a persons soul of the sin that was done. This occurs on earth as well as in the spiritual world. Many of the health problems including Alzheimer's that elderly people who served in the military experience is the result of their sins on earth by serving in the military. I know this is difficult for many people to accept, but it's true. This is not punishment by God, but Gods way of soul expiation of the sin that was committed. God in His merciful way, has provided a means by which His law of compensation can be lessened and even muted. It is Gods gift of Divine Love, the most precious element in the universe. When a person prays sincerely for this gift of Love, it will clear the soul of these sinful wounds that have been inflicted upon it. If your grandfather was to pray for Divine Love, this would help him immensely.

Love and Hugs,
David
Don't Plan, Live, Love, Pray, Pray for God's Love, and let yourself enjoy your spiritual journey
Pamela_dsuza
New Friend

Post by Pamela_dsuza »

Thank you, Jeanne and Dmreed for your concern and prayers. We are giving him love, care and support. Sometimes he is fine but the very next moment he turns aggressive. Need your prayers.
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Dear Pamela,

I will add you to my prayers. I held off commenting because I think there are folks with more personal experience than I have, but I have certainly noticed that aggression is not uncommon in alzheimers. Its very sad because its not the person you used to know. Its sad enough they are slipping away...

hugs
Geoff