Soul awareness vs. the intellect

A forum for Al to post his musings
Terry Adler
Family

Re: Soul awareness vs. the intellect

Post by Terry Adler »

Dear Friends,

I am at the eve of my departure for the retreat in Ireland. Before I go, I want to share (with her permission) a wonderful connection made by Sandy Barnard that has great relevance for this thread, I believe. When I told Sandy I intended to continue my prayer retreat with a two day stay at Glenstal Abbey near Limerick, she went to the Glenstal website to get a feel for the place and found this in the section devoted to the Library of the Abbey at http://www.glenstal.org/?page_id=153.

What is the purpose of a monastic library?

". . . the function of a monastery library is not the promotion of academic endeavour or intellectual life. This is not to deny the academic achievements of the various Munster monasteries but to reassert the primary function for which the monastery exists: the praise and worship of God and the building up of his people. Without becoming too precious about this I think that it is fair to say that a monk’s approach to a book differs from that of an academic and monastic reading from academic research. In Chapter 49 of the RB, St Benedict outlines this approach Lectio Divina or sacred reading has been terribly important. This is the slow, meditative reading of the scriptures in which the object is not the accumulation of knowledge or information but an encounter with the living God. It is an approach very much at variance with how we usually read or study; normally the goal is to conquer the text, to master it and extract from it all we can before moving onto something else, in Lectio divina the text of scripture gradually conquers you, becomes part of you, becomes the means by which to hear the ‘voice of the Lord, full of power’."

This seems to me an insight that has been missing in conversations on this forum about soul and intellect, on this and other threads. It is particularly relevant to the exchanges Al and Geoff have had about the relative merits of inquiry through the soul and inquiry through the mind (to paraphrase roughly).

In sharing this, Sandy is reminding me (us) that whatever one reads, whenever one reads, the soul can be engaged, seeking in the text clues to the mystery of our Creator, avenues for connection with Him/Her, inspirations that fuel soul longings, that reveal God's Presence and awaken our own felt sense of that Healing Presence.

I am so grateful to Sandy for her soul wisdom and her generous heart, knowing that when she reads the Urantia book, she is motivated by her desire to know God; that her soul longings help her identify evidence of God in what she reads, and her faith grows as she encounters God in her reading. I believe those on this forum who are scholars of the TGRABJ, enter into communion with those teachings in the same way, for the same purpose.

So, I believe there is really no dichotomy between those who read the Padgett messages and those who seek in other texts as long as the soul is central to the inquiry process.

The common factor is the soul seeking Divine Love. When this longing is awakened in one, I feel it becomes a unifying theme to everything in one's life; one's choice of reading material, one's way of interacting with the text, one's choice of activities and friendships, and more.

There is always more to be said, but I must pack and get some sleep! For now, please know how appreciative I am of this forum, for the people it has brought into my life, the conversations it offers, the growing community it is becoming. Our connections grow and they nourish our souls!

Thank you all!
Love,
Terry
Kristy
Family

Post by Kristy »

Dearest Terry and Sandy, "Soul felt thanks" for bringing this wonderful perspective to us. As I read your post, Terry, my soul "burst" and I felt totally overwhelmed. This is Truth. With Love/love, Kristy
Marga M.
Family

Post by Marga M. »

Dear Terry and Sandy B.,

Thank you so much for bringing your message on this thread:
"So, I believe there is really no dichotomy between those who read the Padgett messages and those who seek in other texts as long as the soul is central to the inquiry process.

The common factor is the soul seeking Divine Love. When this longing is awakened in one, I feel it becomes a unifying theme to everything in one's life; one's choice of reading material, one's way of interacting with the text, one's choice of activities and friendships, and more."
There was so much truth in the way you both presented the material that like Kristy, my soul was rejoicing. The end results is for the Divine Love and a way to connect to the Creator in such a way that we rise above the intellect and start loving and appreciating Him as He always desired to commune with his children -- soul to soul -- as ONE. ;)

Much love and respect to you both,

Marga
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

I think it is very easy to confuse the issue when reading many other texts. For the initiate, reading can confirm the existence of the Divine Love because the mind is already focused and clear . For those who have not had this experience, reading about other spiritual beliefs and ideas may inspire the soul to seek the Divine Love or not. It's a circuitous route that need not be taken if we were able to bring these messages of truth more forward into the world. There is so much out there and it is hard to see the forest for the trees and very, very few of us in the world have a clear understanding of what Divine Love is. The distraction factor inherent in the teachings of other texts is great. I think only Padgett gets to the meat of the matter and lays out step by step the process. Others may stumble onto the experience of Divine Love but this can be fleeting as it would not likely remain the focus. Yet a tiny fraction of humanity has the clear picture and even then, fewer of us are willing to promote these texts in any way. I find that to be heart breaking as the effort that was required to receive and publish them was immense. These books of truths are freely available but here we are extoling the virtues of other texts which do not clearly talk about God's Divine Love. I'm not trying to lay a guilt trip here but I must say at the risk of offending others, that we need to focus more on Padgett and less on other materials.

Others with different beliefs need to be honored and given a voice. Exclusion and exclusiveness is not our goal here and I see that you Terry and Marga are trying to include others in a loving and welcoming way and I absolutely agree with this attitude. We are all free to pursue whatever teachings that are available out there. Some are very resonant with the teachings of Divine Love and some are not. None of us have the entire truth and I think that that would be impossible to accomplish. The hunger for truth is always with us as we seek to widen our horizons. I would like to expand the conversation with the phrase ' seek ye the kingdom and all things will come unto you'. Does this mean that if we pursue the Love then all truth will come in accordance with this pursuit? I believe that it does . So the question is, how does it come ? Does it come with us actively going out and seeking it by reading other texts and engaging in conversation with those who have very different beliefs or does it come with downloads of Divine Love which include soul perceptions of truth ? Since we are on this material plain, it is undoubtedly both. The possibilities of learning are everywhere and everyone has their ways of accessing truth. The pitfalls of actively reading many other texts for me is the possibility of loosing my focus on remaining with the Divine Path. After all, as we read, we are influencing our perception of reality. We are also attracting spirits who are in line with whatever it is that we are putting into our minds. This can be a benefit or a distraction so discernment is always required. I have found very few texts which convey the truth about God's Love and the vast majority talk about the perfection of the natural love. Another issue arises with this fact. Do we need to perfect our natural love in order to be more aligned with the Divine Love? AJ followers are very much in agreement with this idea. No divine Love without the clearing away of emotional baggage and shining up our natural selves first. I don't believe that this is the case but also see the benefit of doing a bit of personal work that clears away the baggage. It just makes sense to clear the road a bit because the mind plays a big part in regulating the soul longings or at least allowing these longings to come to consciousness. Natural love cannot be ignored as we pursue our spirituality. It is a powerful and necessary part of who we are. I believe that the Divine Love does in time influence and perfect our natural love attributes. Some of us are not willing to wait for this evolution so we try various things in order to expedite the process. And I think this is often the source of our going elsewhere for other truths. I believe that this can be a healthy choice if done in balance and with discernment. So I am not opposed to reading other things as some have implied but I am cautious as to what I read and try to be cognizant of why I'm reading it. The workings of law of attraction being my reason here .

We all have our lessons to learn, experiences to have and soul growth to accomplish. We are also all unique and our paths reflect that. Free will is in everything that we do. So the choices we make determine outcomes on many different levels. Many people blithely go through life not realizing even this fundamental truth. Our angel friends often remind us that the choices we make determine much of our spiritual progress and what comes next. Commitment to truth is apparent in everyone who posts here. What that truth is, is up to you to decide and what may seem like truth now may, in fact, be a distortion. It's a tricky business this truth thing. How many of us feel deep within that we know a lot of truth? With the inflowing of God's Love, we have been told that truth will become clear in accordance with our soul's progression. I believe this to be true so that is what I am relying on to bring into my consciousness the truth. That doesn't mean that I cannot read other texts and think whatever thoughts I may have but my goal is to filter it through the understandings I have adopted to date regarding the Divine Love. That is my truth. It has become demonstrably true in my life experience. The Padgett materials are the only source that I am aware of which bring these truths in clear focus. How many other books do this is unclear to me but my source has always brought me further along this road. I hope that you can all agree that the words spoken through James Padgett are as close to truth as any other materials. It is my bible and my comforter and fits the bill for me just fine. Much love to you all.........Al
Endless journey,endless Love.
DennisT
Family

Post by DennisT »

I'm glad to see this thread continuing to grow. Al, I agree with your last post, and I think is is so important that we have these simple discussions. Not only does it help those of us now, reading and responding to these posts, but I know it will help untold number of future truth seekers as they stumble upon this website via various search engines, etc.

For me, I feel that I have grown sort of automatically in my natural love by being one who is praying for and receiving Divine Love. I look at life so differently now, and I humbly feel like such a tiny part of our Creator's entire universe and beyond. Sure, I still struggle with temptation as I'm trapped in this material body, but as the spirits kept telling Padgett that he needed to start thinking of higher, spiritual things, I too am keeping myself focused on receiving Divine Love with an eye to our future in the spirit planes.

When it comes to reading other material, I always view it in terms of how much of that material is dedicated to the discussion of Divine Love and how to receive it. If it is not Divine Love based, it doesn't get much priority in my "must read" list.

Yes, we are all on different paths, and I am so thankful to have everyone here who chooses to share their journeys along this path. I don't know if you have given this much thought, Al, but you should have a legacy plan for the preservation of this website for the many years to come after we have left this material world. The very discussions we have today could help generations of Divine Love followers that come 10, 20, or 30 or more years in the future. It would be a shame for all of these wonderful discussions to be lost in time. I believe everyone who posts here is doing their part, helping to share the Truths of of the Father and how His Love has affected their lives. I know that some of the pages of my own Divine Love website were copied verbatim on another website, and I am thrilled! :D

Sorry for straying off topic, but before finding the Truths, I never thought in terms of my "ego mind" versus my "soul perception". The fact that we are even having these discussions proves to me that I have come a few miles down the long road of the Path Divine :mrgreen:

With much love and big hugs to everyone, who I hope to see in Washington D.C. In a couple of weeks!! Who's going? :lol:

Dennis
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Thanks Dennis. I can always rely on you to give a thoughtful and positive response here. A legacy plan is a good one . Do you have any suggestions to how to go about that? Maybe Geoff has some ideas. If you want to copy this material onto your site, I'm happy with that :) but not sure how others would react although since this site is very public, I suppose this is not an issue. Can you also link DLSF with your site, Geoff's site and FCNB's site? This was discussed a while back by the board but not acted upon. I think it is time to do so.

Sorry to use this post for this kind of communication. I guess this should have been a PM :? . Much love to you Dennis and keep up your journey, it will without a doubt be filled with many insights, experiences and joyful uncovering's of God's presence in your life and in your being. Love to Suzie too...............Al

PS: As far as Washington is concerned.....be there or be square :lol: . I think there are about 45 going so far. Still time to sign up folks and there is room at the inn too!
Terry Adler
Family

Post by Terry Adler »

Dear Al,
Here, in Blackpool, just before bedding down for the night in the lovely room prepared for me by Tom at the Waldorf Hotel, I checked the forum for the first time in a week, specifically this thread.

I think I understand what you are saying in your post of the 22nd. You are reiterating what you said in the post that began this conversation, that the source of true knowing is the Divine Love of God in our souls, that we must be cautious when reading "other texts" or engaging in conversation with those who have very different beliefs not to lose our focus on the Divine Love or to attract non-celestial spirits. You also highlight the Padgett materials as being the best "guidebook" for pursuing the Divine Love.

While I agree with all you are saying, I am worried that it comes across as a narrow, exclusionary view, yet knowing you I know this is not your intention.

In my earlier post, I was trying to get across that the enlightened soul, the soul that yearns to know God, the soul that has been touched by God's Love can bring "soul perception" to reading, to life, to relationships and such a soul need not confine their reading to any one narrow world.

In my two days at Glenstal Abbey, I felt the presence of God in my companions, in the Mass and other prayers, in the garden, and in the reading I did on the lives of Irish monks. In my conversations with others, I got a beginning realization that the mystical path is the path followed by those who choose to know God through the gift of His/Her Love, and that there are mystics in every religion, that they may
use very different language from ours or Padgett's. I also realized that in every generation, there have been "prophets" or mediums whom God and the Angels have used to reach out to we humans with the message of Love Divine. Faith was one such person, and she left a great legacy behind with her teachings and example. Many of those who partipated in the Ireland retreat had been involved in study groups led by her.

We need to find ways of conveying to seekers the centrality of prayer and of inviting the Divine Will and the Divine Love, ways that do not repeat the errors of fundamentalism. People are so diverse; there are so many ways in which their souls may be ignited to pray for the Love, so many texts and experiences that may "speak" to them of God.

I recognize fellow seekers when I meet them, whether through an online or an in person relationship, whether the language they use differs from or is similar to mine, whether the books they read are appealing to me or not. What I recognize is their love for and Love from our Creator.

As a Jew, my journey has been quite unlike those of some of my Christian friends on the Divine Path. Yet the shared yearning for atonement in Love bridges all differences.

It is late here and I fear I haven't made myself clear enough. But perhaps a few of you will grasp my meaning and intention in posting. I hope you see, Al, that while what you say is key, it is not the "whole story".

With love,
Terry
Marga M.
Family

Post by Marga M. »

In my two days at Glenstal Abbey, I felt the presence of God in my companions, in the Mass and other prayers, in the garden, and in the reading I did on the lives of Irish monks. In my conversations with others, I got a beginning realization that the mystical path is the path followed by those who choose to know God through the gift of His/Her Love, and that there are mystics in every religion, that they may use very different language from ours or Padgett's. I also realized that in every generation, there have been "prophets" or mediums whom God and the Angels have used to reach out to we humans with the message of Love Divine. Faith was one such person, and she left a great legacy behind with her teachings and example. Many of those who partipated in the Ireland retreat had been involved in study groups led by her.
Dear Terry,

Thank you so much for the beautiful way you've expressed your true meaning of what you posted last week in regards to what Sandy B. had written. On one hand, I get it and truly understand what you were saying. Especially about not being narrow minded or coming off too Fundamental. On the other hand, how do we also include those that are Fundamentalist and truly have had a soul awakening to the Truths of God and desires to be at one with Him regardless of what they have been taught through the churches or even the Bible?

While I am very grateful that my mother brought me up in church, yet it was a longing in my own soul to be closer to Jesus and then after doing my own praying and reading the Bible, I desired to be closer to the Creator because I recognized that Jesus was my brother and that God was my Father. My friends didn't understand this need or desire in me. But I didn't care. Thus, it was my love and a desire to get closer to the Father that would cause me to still away and fast and prayer during those times when I couldn't feel him near me or in me.

So I understand that while we are all so different in how we come to this "narrow road" or the Mystical path, those that do and discover the Divine Love -- we must be open to the fact that there are others out there that have found it too, and not look down on them or make them feel inferior because they didn't find it the same way we did. The road might be narrow, but it is not forbidden.

Your soul is so rich with Divine Love, Soul Perception and Soul Development that I truly enjoy reading anything that you have to say because my soul resonates with your truth.

Much Love and respect,

Marga
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Dear Terry, none of us have the whole story. I believe that this is not available to us on earth. Everyone has their path to take and things to work out . They pick their favorite fruit from the bowl and that bowl is filled with variety. My goal is to extol the virtues of the fruit of my preference. My challenge is to accept that it is not for everyone's taste. My hope is that I can accept that and be at peace rather than choose to judge my brothers and sisters to be wrong. It's a fine line and a challenging road since so few here on earth are interested to walk any spiritual path. We're all too busy keeping up with the demands of our lives. I believe that it takes commitment and strength to walk one's chosen path with consistency and faith and it takes courage to declare it without compromise.

This forum and its way of communication does give a very one dimensional flavor to what is being said and you are right when you say that what I say at times comes across as narrow and fundamentalist. You also know that this is not really my view as my goal is not to tell others how to walk their path. My goal is to walk mine as best I can. My goal here is to try to keep the conversation going regarding everyone's experiences with the Divine Love. Padgett does give, in my opinion, the definitive story of what that is. Many find his writings dated and difficult to read. Their interests lay in more contemporary works and more intellectually stimulating materials. My frustration comes from a hunch that some may not give these volumes a good chance to teach. It's not an easy go and it is fraught with religious overtones but I believe that its the best we have . Others may disagree and that's ok with me but I will stand up for these truths as stated in Padgetts books. I believe that what is contained there could change the world. Other books have the same potential to be sure but these books stir my soul and I want others to know of their power to do so. In the end, it is prayer for Divine Love that causes truth to be fully understood. Books and words do not matter when all is said and done. In this I know that you agree Terry and I'm sure most reading this would concur. It is not the mind that will bring us to that place of knowing but it is the soul which will find the mystical union between us and our Creator. At that point no book will have that power to bring about what the soul longs for. Many have found this without reading Padgett. I found it by reading Padgett. God will work through whatever means that He can to get us to the realization of truth. I accept that and honor it. Anything else builds barriers rather than bridges. I thank God every day that He lead me to truth through using James as He did to bring greater clarity to me and potentially to the world. That fruit will undoubtedly not be to everyone's taste. I am saddened by that but have no other choice but to accept it because any other stance is untenable. Here however, in this place of discussion around the truths of Divine Love, I believe that defending Padgett is very appropriate. It may cause some to see me as narrow minded but I cannot be anything but who I am. I will accept the label of fundamentalist but hope that the word loving is always part of it. I appreciate your loving rebuke and I know where you are coming from Terry and I know that you understand me as well. In our relationship, I derive great comfort and learn a great deal. You are a blessing to me. I hope that I am to you as well. God gives us what we need. Your comments always help me to review my thinking and try to have integrity. Thank you dear heart for sharing your perspective which is just as valid as mine. We do so in love and I hope that I am doing so with humility and a bit of grace . Your example always leads me to try to do so. Have a good sleep. With love and appreciation......Al
Terry Adler
Family

Post by Terry Adler »

I do love you both, Marga and Al!

Marga, my soul resonates with your truth also. Your path to the Divine Love came through your soul longing for a closer walk with our Father and His Eldest Son, a longing to know them both with your soul rather than your mind. Your story reminds us that no matter the labels we might wear at various stages of our journey -fundamentalist, new age, agnostic, christian, jew, muslim - it is our souls that bring us into relationship with the One Creator. And it is our growing soul knowing that reshapes our spiritual understandings. I so appreciate what you have shared!

Al, you are a fine champion of the fruit you have picked from the bowl! I know you are not judging others for picking a different fruit more compatible with their taste. Rather, you are living up to your responsibility in this forum to convey clearly that "it is prayer for the Divine Love that causes truth to be fully understood", that it is not
the mind that brings us to the Truth.

I feel happy that I said what I did because this last post of yours is one of the most loving, clear expressions of your thoughts and intentions I think I have ever read! I value it and everyyhing you are doing on this forum to inspire dialogue about Divine Love. I know this forum has been a catalyst for my thinking, my prayer life, my sense of community, and my soul understandings. And I am grateful to you and all those whose posts here continue to teach me. Thank you, dear Al, and dear fellow travellers, all!

Love, Terry