The Opinion Page

A forum for Al to post his musings
AlFike
Site Admin

The Opinion Page

Post by AlFike »

This thread is my attempt at expressing my thoughts in my own words and may contain comments that others may find objectionable. It is my personal venting or reactive space that I intend to use as an experiment to clear my thoughts and digest other's viewpoints so that I may grow further in my understandings and perceptions with out drawing too much focus on me in other forums. Of course others are free to do the same here and comment as well as long as you are able to be respectful of the process and understand that this venue may contain some weird and wonderful ideas. Think of it as a coffee house of conversation and a more casual atmosphere. A casual place to hang out. Lets see if this works shall we.
Endless journey,endless Love.
Doles
Family

Re: The Opinion Page

Post by Doles »

Dear Al,
I don't know what the rules are for this particular thread, but I'm just going to post this anyhow. Lately I've been more than willing to say a word or two. I know that's not too wise sometimes. I just want to see these conversations flowing so much that I'm willing to put my neck out there. By the way, I always approach people's opinions on the side that it's a win win proposition for me. I honestly don't get the idea of having a thin skin. In a forum like this, it should be obvious, I hope, that opinions should be given based on love. So an opinion may sound rash...it could either be because the person didn't use the correct phrasing or it could be that they truly wanted to hurt me, for which they would be wrong anyway. What rewards does someone get for trying to hurt me? You see?, I'm one to believe it does you more ill than it does me if your motive is simply to hurt me. A third proposition could result from the fact that the opinion wasn't too harsh to begin with and that I'm simply too sensitive, in which case I AM the one that needs some refining.
So if anything, I want to hear those opinions because I NEED them. Just this past weekend I almost broke my family by wanting to act too hastily in the spur of the moment. Of course it's hypocritical on my part because I'd think I'd know better. Well, I'm finding out "practice what you preach" is not so rosy after all. I actually said that to my wife as a way to force myself to calm down! Yes, I had to fight my own ego. But because I'm actually more interested in progressing than I am about being right, I'm happy to say that we lived another day as a family. Sorry to have taken your thread hostage. I just wanted to reemphasize that what some of you may find not too useful because you're too advanced may indeed be worth saying if for the edification of others.
With Blessings!
Doles
DennisT
Family

Post by DennisT »

I too welcome the thread and look forward to sharing opinions, of course as Doles said, in the theme of God's Divine Love.
I also agree with Doles that while some posts may be considered bloviating to some, as long as they are given in Love they will contain nuggets of truths for others.

So go for it, Al! :D

Hugs,
Dennis
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Dole's thanks for your response and what you have said is exactly what I had wished for here. To talk openly and possibly on a personal level about our thoughts and opinions vis a vis daily life and on going issues without some one discounting what you have to say because it is off topic or all about you is an important outlet because many of us do not have the support systems in place in our daily lives. The Divine Path sets a pretty high bar for all of us and to strain to reach these expectations even a little is a daily struggle. It is so easy to misunderstand or be misunderstood by another. I think we all share this angst of feeling a little on the outside even in our own families and that can be a lonely feeling. I hope others will feel safe to talk here and by God if there is an attitude of self righteousness, judgment and rebuke injected into the conversation, I will shut them down . This is Al's Corner and on my block we are free to express ourselves as flawed human beings who are sincerely struggling to be better and have found a way to do so but the daily struggle may not always reflect this intent. This is a chance to be as real and grounded as you wish without the fear of being scolded for not being spiritually correct. So I invite you Doles to share as you like without any apologies and if I can lend an ear or support you in any way then it is an honor to do so for you are my dear brother. We all need loving support on many levels and I hope what may be accomplished here is helpful and loving. Keep talking dear friend. I would like to hear more about your struggles. With love and appreciation.....Al
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Not sure Dennis what bloviating is but I'm sure I've been there. Maybe we are starting up an on line men's group here? Welcome and as I said to Dole's let the opinions and the issues flow forth. Welcome Dennis. 8-) .
Kathryn
Family

Post by Kathryn »

I think it might be good to talk about Jesus and what he means to each of us.

For me, growing up Catholic, even though I was brought up to understand the Trinity, I somehow always knew that Jesus was not God. I used to go to Catachism every Sunday but I always believed that Jesus was the Son of God - not to be worshipped like God. Nothing that I was taught at Sunday School made me feel any differently. I find this interesting. Never did I believe him to be God. That is why when I first read the Padgett Messages I knew I was reading the Truth.

Since reading the Padgett messages I have really focused on worshipping God alone and the receiving of his Divine Love but lately I have been thinking a bit more about Jesus and how he has worked so very hard for us in trying to teach us the Truths of the New Birth and how he has been so misunderstood by mankind. He is still so very dependable and I think about him more and I appreciate all that he is done for us. I try not to idolize him but yet when I pray to God for his Love I always thank Jesus too. I never used to do that.

My niece just left for Rio de Janeiro this morning to attend the World Youth Day conference. She invited me yesterday to attend Sunday Mass at the Catholic Church where a special blessing was to be given to those youth traveling to Rio. I was so glad that she asked me to attend and my brother knew, because of my beliefs, that I would not go up for Communion (to take the body of Christ) but he said that I could go up and put my hand to my chest and I would receive a blessing from God. So I did that and the Priest said to me "God Bless You" and I liked that :D

Not that I needed the Priest to give me that Blessing because I know I can go to God on my own, at any time, without having to confess my sins to a Priest. But I liked the fact that I could share the day with my brother and his family and that I could still go up and get that blessing - it was special to me to receive it. I also loved it when the choir sang "Ave Maria" in German. Coming from a German background it also warmed my heart. I felt God in the room and I know that my family looks at me a bit differently - I can tell that they no longer judge me for my beliefs and I truly believe that they can see God working his magic in my life and they cannot ignore that. I have been living with God's love for so long and I have been blessed. I could almost hear God saying “All things work together for your Good”

I looked up at Jesus on the Cross in the Church and after praying to God for his Divine Love to enter my soul - I looked up and I thanked Jesus for being our Messiah, our glorious and wonderful teacher whose love for us never fails and never gives up!

So Al - I welcome to hear what Jesus has meant to you in your life ? Love & Blessings, Kathryn
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Lovely story Kath and I see that you have incorporated soul growth and your past learning into a harmonious package. Well done and thank you for describing your journey to this end. Feeling distant from family is an issue I deal with as well as our son Paul does not believe what we do and I can feel the tensions that result from this. I'm sad about that but I know in time he will know this beautiful Love. Eric gives us painful lessons in other ways but his soul longs for the Love and I know that in time he will find his way as well. Other relatives are kind and fairly respectful but there is always that different perspective that causes some distance. None of Jeanne or my families are religious so in that respect there is not that judgment that we are on the wrong path. Just a wariness and a bit of confusion about the whole thing. They see our lives going along in surprising ways so I'm sure they wonder how we are so fortunate. I think they think we are just lucky but of course we know better.

As for Jesus, he is my friend, my brother and my leader and my inspiration. I know he is close and I know he loves me and I feel that bond and commitment we have to further the work together. He does not feel unobtainable or distant, he is close in a way I cannot describe other than a knowing that this connection is strong and real. I have seen him on occasion and felt his presence often. I feel a part of his family and it has taken me many years to accept this special knowing of him in a way that I am not embarrassed or uncomfortable with . I have come to understand that everyone can have this closeness if they are open to it and every soul that longs for the Love is a part of Jesus's family. I also feel grateful that I was not brought up in a practicing Christian home that I believe would have placed lots of baggage in the way of knowing and accepting this relationship as I have. Thank God for small miracles. ;) . I believe that Jesus wants to be close to every soul. Accepting and desiring this relationship made possible by the possession of the Love is all that is required. His presence does not feel like God's presence to me as God in my perception lacks a human quality that I find in Jesus. The Love is there to be sure but it comes with some different qualities that I would find hard to describe at this time. I'm just so grateful that I have experienced these beautiful beings as I have. So much more to know as our souls continue to grow. Thanks for asking Kathy and bless you for your loving support. With love....Al
Zack
Family

Post by Zack »

Hey guys!
Thanks for writing everyone and sharing your perceptions. And thanks Kathy for what you wrote, I was happy to read it! I can relate to that certain distance that we can sometimes feel with relatives or with others, but as happened with you, the inevitably visible fruits of love can work much to silence doubts as to what's going on. Love is so powerful in its positivity that I guess the negative cannot withstand it. :) And I think it's good to love our "extended family" even in other faiths as you described Kathy ;)

Just one small thought about Jesus from me too - just a few days ago I thought about how some assert there is power in declaring "Jesus is Lord", and so along those lines I simply thought the thought "Jesus is Master" meaning it, and the effect surprised me - there was an upsurge of presence to be felt immediately. Funny how even through a simple thought that Jesus is Master can there be such power manifest. :) I'm happy there are so many things to learn about ourselves, life and Jesus and so much growth ahead that every day can bring some small nugget to build up this feast called life. :) So, I'm happy to read your thoughts.
Love Zack
lizaduff
Family

Post by lizaduff »

Hello my dear friends,

I've just discovered this thread and enjoyed thoroughly reading it, and was tempted to not write, as I am very tired and it's time for bed....and there's still some things to do first....but I cannot resist saying thank you Al, for starting this discussion...so interesting...and I'm glad to see that Kathy (and now me) are making sure it won't be only for the men....I will come back and join this discussion soon....

I have not yet learned how to get quotes from previous emails, and I hope to learn how, as there are wonderful nuggets from each of your emails that I would love to quote and comment on...mostly because my memory is not the greatest, especially when I'm tired.

But I do remember that Al said that this is a safe place, and that it's a place for saying what we want without drawing attention away from topics in other threads....

I watched a movie the other night, and I noticed that I felt disappointed in myself for doing so, critical of myself, like this is not a spiritual way to spend my time....so then I reflected on 'all-that-about-that-movie" inviting myself to see what exactly did draw me to it, what was it about that movie? And I saw that I resonated very much with the main character's confusion about what is real, who's right, who am I? He had been in a accident and when he recovered, he found his wife and she denied knowing him and there was another man pretending to be him. And I think I was fascinated to see someone in a film struggling with the question of 'what is real.'

So then I didn't feel so critical of myself for watching it. My mind cannot make sense of things; when people disagree, I struggle with that, just as I did as a child. No accident that my father called me 'the peacemaker' because I always tried to help my family members see the other's point of view, because I felt uncomfortable with conflict. Now I see that it's not just about being a peacemaker at all. It's also about who's right? and how helpless I feel witnessing conflict. There's constant conflict and conflicting points of view.

I am sitting with that in me that feels unsure and confused at times. Seems all I can do is ask our Father's Divine Love to heal my discomfort with conflict and to show us the way.

Tonight I spoke with someone who is very deeply concerned about a form of genocide taking place in her country. How to sit with that, to call on our Father's Love to be here with us in the presence of her suffering and the suffering of her country men. I wish I could say that I felt that Love real powerfully. But at the end, my friend said that she felt our connection very powerfully even though Skype was not working and we had to use "IM' to communicate during this sensitive correspondence where she finds it difficult to write in English. I can only believe this is possible because of our Father's Divine Love, faint though it seemed to me as I sat in the presence of her suffering and that of her people.

I am weak, but He is strong, His Divine Love is Strong.
love,
elizabeth
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Thanks Elizabeth and yes this is not a men's group . What is that quote from Helen in the Padgett books....'when you are weakest, you are strongest because it brings you to prayer ". You are strong Elizabeth because you question and are willing to look at the answers even if they are uncomfortable. This realism is your strength and I think you've got a pretty good radar for the BS too. I trust everything you say because I know it comes from a place of wisdom and integrity. And you can find wisdom anywhere, even in a Hollywood movie. That's quite a talent :lol: . God bless you for being here and I love you dear sister.........Al