Barbara Corinne Davies - memories

This forum is for all other topics
Terry Adler
Family

Barbara Corinne Davies - memories

Post by Terry Adler »

Barbara Corinne Davies
May 31, 1931 to October 28, 2020

Barbara was a truly humble person and a beautiful instrument for God. She was raised by a Cree Mother who had endured 14 years of Indian Residential schooling and acted out her woundedness by abusing Barb from infancy. Barb credited spirit for helping her survive her childhood.

It wasn’t until Barbara was guided to meet Alec Gaunt in 1969 that she found the Truth of Divine Love and validation of her psychic giftedness. Her relationship with God became central to her life.

She devoted herself in service to the Highest and sought God’s guidance every day. In 1971 she started a charity that became the expression of her love for God and God’s Love for the homeless, physically handicapped, mentally ill, poor, abused, drug addicted, the cast-offs of society, struggling to survive. She felt that “there but for the Grace of God go I”. She brought to each person her non-judgmental, unconditional love, safety, emotional, material, and spiritual support. Her clients felt themselves seen, valued and no longer alone in their struggles.

Barbara served on the Boards of Vancouver’s Community Legal Assistance Society (a non-profit law firm providing free legal assistance for low-income people), the Federated Anti-Poverty Groups of BC and for 5 years, as a delegate from BC to the Canadian Council of Welfare. In these organizations she was a voice for the poor and participated in changing legislation and drafting welfare guidelines for all of Canada.

To her large circle of family and friends, Barb was a nurturer, a trusted mentor and spiritual model. Her soul, awakened in Love, guided her life. She was a great storyteller, hostess, terrific cook and baker, and had a delightful sense of humour. She loved animals as well as people, rescuing many dogs and cats over the years who adored their human Mother. After stressful days at work, she relaxed by caring for the fish, turtles and many plants in the 14 aquariums in her home. They too, flourished under her healing touch!

You are welcome to share your memories of, experiences with, and tributes to Barbara!
Thank you,
with love,
Terry
Geoff
Family

Re: Barbara Corinne Davies - memories

Post by Geoff »

Dear Terry,

Thank you for that. It helps greatly because I never knew Barb in her prime, indeed when I first met her the signs of her dementia were just beginning. So no one has previously put a nice background to her life and her struggles and triumphs. It was truly sad how the die was cast the last few years, so this is much appreciated.

hugs
Geoff
Eva
Family

Post by Eva »

I concur with Geoff. The first and only time I met Barb in person was in 2015 at her/Terry's home and then at the Gibsons Retreat. By then, her dementia was fairly advanced, so I never had a chance to know her "true self", except from hearsay. So thank you Terry for this tribute to a truly special woman who devoted her life to serving God and fellow humans.
Eva
Family

Post by Eva »

Terry asked me to post a slightly revised, more complete version of her article that will appear in the next Divine Love Newsletter due out in the first week in January (possibly a bit later because of the holidays). For those who are new to the Community, the newsletter can be subscribed to (send your request to editors@fcdt.org) or downloaded from either the DLSF website
(https://divinelovesanctuary.com/2020-newsletters/) or the FCDT website
(http://www.fcdt.org/community/).

Here is the final version of Terry's article and your comments are welcome.

Barbara was a truly humble person and a beautiful instrument for God. She was raised by a Cree (Aboriginal) mother who had endured 14 years of Indian Residential schooling and acted out her woundedness by abusing Barb from infancy. Barb credited spirit for helping her survive her childhood.

It wasn’t until Barbara was guided to meet Alec Gaunt in 1969 that she found the Truth of Divine Love and validation of her psychic giftedness. Her relationship with God became central to her life.

She devoted herself in service to the Highest and sought God’s guidance every day. In 1971 she started a charity that became the expression of her love for God and God’s Love for the homeless, physically handicapped, mentally ill, poor, abused, drug addicted and other cast-offs of society, struggling to survive. She felt that “there but for the Grace of God go I”. She brought to each person emotional, material, and spiritual support given with non-judgmental, unconditional love. Her clients felt themselves seen, valued and no longer alone in their struggles.

Barbara served on the Boards of Vancouver’s Community Legal Assistance Society (a non-profit law firm providing free legal assistance for low-income people), the Federated Anti-Poverty Groups of British Columbia, and for five years, as a delegate from British Columbia to the Canadian Council of Welfare. In these organizations she was a voice for the poor and participated in changing legislation and drafting welfare guidelines for all of Canada.

To her large circle of family and friends, Barb was a nurturer, trusted mentor and spiritual model. Her soul, awakened in Love, guided her life. She was a great storyteller, terrific hostess, cook and baker, with a delightful sense of humour.

She loved animals as well as people, and over the years rescued many dogs and cats who came to adore their human mother. After stressful days at work, she relaxed by caring for the fish, turtles and plants in the 14 aquariums in her home. They too flourished under her healing touch!

In her late 70’s, Barb was diagnosed with probable Alzheimer’s. Knowing that she did not wish to be in a nursing home, I ensured Barb could stay in her own home by selling mine, moving into hers and managing her care. God sent us a team of extraordinary caregivers who were received with love by Barb and reciprocated by providing exemplary, loving care.

At the West Vancouver prayer circle the evening of her passing, we received the guidance that Jesus had taken Barb’s hand to guide her into her new home in the fifth sphere. I was not surprised, as of all humans I have known, Barb most fully lived love, expressing it in all aspects of her personal and work life. She continues her journey to at-one-ment with God, ministering to humans and spirits, her soul freed to express its gifts and enact its purpose.

You are welcome to share your memories of, experiences with, and tributes to Barbara here.
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

About 3 years after meeting Alec Gaunt, Barb and I became friends. I applied to work at the little agency called Co-Pro that Barb started and she saw a light over my head which she took as a signal that we were to work together. Although in those early years Barb had not yet found her spiritual footing, but as she and I became close as did the Angels, everything began to flow in remarkable ways. Barb soon became a force to be reckoned with and a tireless advocate for the poor and downtrodden. She was often the last resort for people and most often the most effective support for those in very dire circumstances. As Terry indicates, Barb was guided every day of her life as a channel of love and healing.
Her approach was not written by Government mandates or formulas on how to deal with the poor. She had her own ways and they were developed by her close relationship with spirit. I believe that she was most effective because she emanated love. Many called her mother, as did I, and I believe I benefitted the most from her nurturing and mentoring me from age 21. She saw the spiritual potential in me and continuously supported me in my development. She was a wonderful medium, seer, healer and reader of people. She had the capacity to see through the veneer of a person and go to their true soulful self. So if you were not an honest and straightforward person, she would not make much effort to connect, unless you were one of her clients. If she liked you or was guided to make a connection, you would often be invited for dinner at her home. One of her great expressions of love was her gift of cooking and baking. I was blessed to share many meals around her large dining room table with a great variety of people. Some were very gifted and influential while others were regular folks whom Barb embraced and nurtured. It was a real education around Barb's table as she brought so many diverse people together. She was a character who loved to tell stories and bring laughter to that table. She could speak to anyone and could hold her own in a courtroom or in the halls of power, always educating judges and politicians about the plight of the poor which she knew first hand in her life as a single mother of 4. She also had a temper, but in my observations, she only used it judiciously in order to get her point across. She once threw a phone book across the room at me because I was behaving like a ass. Luckily she missed :) .
When you think of those people who contributed to changing the course of your life, Barb stands out as the one who opened the doors of possibility in mine. She did so with love and wisdom. For all I know, I might have been her greatest challenge since I often harbored skepticism regarding her guidance and perceived visions of my future. I believe that Barb is happy with my progress to date. Certainly many things that she told me about as a young man which were in store for me have come true. I dearly miss her wise perceptions and advice when dealing with the world, but I believe that I have absorbed enough to carry the torch of truth as she did. I will never stand a candle to our precious Barb, but at least she demonstrated the truth of Divine Love in action for those of us who knew her in her prime. Her strength and commitment to be a channel of light in the world is what inspires me forward. A more unique and delightful soul has never crossed my path to date. I am ever grateful that God put me in her's. My memories of her are like a warm flame in my heart. She will never be forgotten.
Endless journey,endless Love.
brian_holmes
Happy Camper

Post by brian_holmes »

I appreciate the history concerning Barb Davies who I did not know but met briefly during the retreat in 2015. Thanks Al and Terry for educating us about this wonderful person!

Brian
DennisT
Family

Post by DennisT »

Thank you, Terry and Al for your wonderful stories of Barbara. Although Suzie and I only met Barb on a handful of occasions, she always seemed at peace and steeped in our Creator's Love. She seemed to enjoy the music too! :D

And thank you, Terry, for saving and forwarding this great photo from an amazing Divine Love retreat.

We were lucky to have met and known Barbara, even if for only a short period of time.

Love and hugs to all,
Dennis & Suzie
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Yeah that's a great photo Dennis. Good to see you active on here.

hugs
Geoff