What to tell a beginner?

This forum is for all other topics
BethM
Site Admin

What to tell a beginner?

Post by BethM »

So I'm almost to the 18-month mark since I found Divine Love. And as most of you who do the circles regularly know, I am still far short of where I'd like to be in terms of feeling Divine Love, soul perception, etc. And those of you who are/were doing Bill's Tuesday class and Catherine and Susan's Thursday class know that I really wish that what I'm learning there had been available to me a year ago.

First things first, I find the 3-week "great experiment" (here and here) to be very misleading. If three weeks of praying the Perfect Prayer did it for you, I'm VERY envious!

I don't know the percentages, whether I'm an outlier or representative of more people than you might think, but it seems like there are plenty of messages that support that the acquisition of Divine Love is a slow process.

And sort of related, I was a bit surprised by this from Peter's recent message:
Without this Great Gift that God gave to each one of us who gathered together, it would be unlikely that we would carry on the work of the Master, for, our morale was so low and our mind so befuddled by the events that had been before this time of gathering, that we would have dispersed and gone about our usual material business with our heads down and our hearts broken.
Pretty telling IMO that the actual Apostles who spent three years with Jesus, saw him resurrect, and then spent a month with him before he ascended, would have "dispersed and gone about our usual material business with our heads down and our hearts broken" without the blast of Divine Love they received on Pentecost.

So unless that's what's coming later this year (i.e., Earth changes so severe that our morale is low and our minds befuddled by events that we're as desperate as the Apostles apparently were), we can't count on a Pentecost-like inflowing of Divine Love. And thus, we need to do it the 'old-fashioned' way. But I think that it needs to be more than just asking for Divine Love. I mean clearly, that's fine as it goes, but I don't really think it's the whole story. Or at least, there are other things that are helpful (necessary?) too.

And I know that that's contained in the thousands of messages and pages and books etc, but it seems to me there must be a way to distill this down into something more actionable without having to get lost in information overload?

I've been noodling through what I would tell a beginner knowing what I know now. But it's going into a separate message, because the forum is telling me I have too many URLs in the original post. :lol:
BethM
Site Admin

Re: What to tell a beginner?

Post by BethM »

BethM wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 am I've been noodling through what I would tell a beginner knowing what I know now. But it's going into a separate message, because the forum is telling me I have too many URLs in the original post. :lol:
And it'd be something like:

------
Pray every day (at least once, preferably more) and:
  1. Ask for the inflowing of Divine Love into your soul. Law of Prayer
  2. Ask for the release of all conditions not in harmony with God's Love. Seretta Kem message, Law of Harmony
  3. Ask for protection from dark spirits. Perfect Prayer
  4. Offer gratitude and praise for God's blessings, healings, and guidance. Perfect Prayer
In addition to specific prayer, it's essential to "engage in spiritual disciplines that support the development of our souls and the elevation of our thoughts and feelings in the direction of truth, love, beauty and goodness. When we do these things we attract positive spiritual influences to support us in the realization of our aspirations. Whenever we choose to seek God’s Love, we attract the very presence of God, bright spirits and angels of Divine Love who desire to support us in our efforts and expressions." Bill's book (Divine Love Essentials, pgs 22 & 23), Law of Attraction
------

So that's my current thinking. I suppose that this is what's really in the Perfect Prayer, but for some reason, I think that prayer is a bit daunting at the beginning. It's a little long to actually pray and have the soul longing required. Or at least, that was certainly how I felt when I first started praying for Divine Love.

What would you tell someone? Something more? Less? Different? Would love to hear. :D
Eva
Family

Post by Eva »

Hello Beth,

You voice realities that I believe have no doubt crossed the minds of others, but remained largely unexpressed for various reasons.

Anyway, I'll paste here, with some edits and additions, what I have written down in doing the last mediumship class homework, because some it relates.

1. Other than praying for the Divine Love (which is important), we also need to do the right things morally and ethically -- the path is both prayer and working on ourselves and overcoming bad habits and avoiding wrong actions.

In this message, https://new-birth.net/padgetts-messages ... ol-1-pg12/, it says this: “Now, the way to each of these kingdoms is not the same, although in pursuing the way to one, and that the Celestial Kingdom, the way to the others, must necessarily be followed, or in other words, he who follows the way to the Celestial Kingdom pursues that course which in its pursuit, will cause him to do those things and obey those laws of God that are necessary to establish the Kingdoms on earth and in the spirit world; but he who pursues only the way that leads to the establishment of the kingdom on earth and in the spirit world, cannot possibly become an inhabitant of the Celestial Kingdom.”

This confirms that thoughts, words and actions of those on the Divine Love path should largely parallel those on the natural love path and be kind and loving. The difference is not in how we live, but how the soul is affected – transformed into divine substance by the Divine Love or simply purified.

That same message also says that we may reach the Celestial Kingdom while still on earth and some in Padgett's time were known to have done so.

Based on the above, I believe that following the two paths to the outside appearances can be pretty well indistinguishable. Both paths should reflect the person’s love and care for others. The difference is in how the loving and kind actions are powered – through our own efforts and will on the natural love path or through God’s nature residing in our souls on the Divine Love path.

On both paths, we have to make conscious choices over and over again in responding to situations we find ourselves in. For example, how do we respond to the unkind comment someone made to or about us – do we reciprocate, retaliate, let it go, or even say something nice, giving the person the benefit of the doubt? As our souls are more and more transformed by the Divine Love, kind actions will become more and more second-nature, though with conscious practice over time, the same can happen on the natural love path.

So the two paths are complementary, but progress can be made faster on the Divine Love path by actively seeking and receiving Divine help. Those who claim to be on the Divine Love path, but are lax about praying for and/or practicing the Love may not act any better than those who don’t even walk the natural love path because their souls are in stagnation and they are not growing in Love/love.

False beliefs can be a hindrance to receiving Divine Love. However, both the Messages and personal experience show that they do not preclude receiving this precious gift. Many have received the Divine Love even though they were steeped in traditional orthodox Christian beliefs or even non-Christian beliefs. After all, Divine Love transcends all religions. And even for those who have been on the Divine Love path for decades, who can honestly say that they have all the truth and have shed all of their false beliefs?

2. Mind vs Soul

Newcomers might be confused by the frequent references to "being in the soul" vs "being in the mind" and made to feel less than if they are "in the mind". My experience is that as long as our mind is on spiritual thoughts, we are doing fine. That is one of the things that Padgett was told over and over -- to get his mind on spiritual things. The soul may not be any more spiritual than the mind, unless cultivated to be that -- it can be stagnant or even "dead."

We really cannot tell or judge who is on the Divine Love path and who is on the Natural Love path, or worse still, judge who is “in their mind” or “in their soul”, or yet worse, disparage those who are more in their mind than their soul – because that’s the way they were made. Only the angels can tell what a person's soul state is. A person on the natural love path is also developing in their soul if they are becoming kinder, less reactive, and are striving to act morally and ethically. (One that is purely on an intellectual path may not be.)

There is soul development on the natural love path as the following two Padgett messages show:

TGRABJ, Vol. 2, page 363 (Jesus)
Well, as I was saying, the only way in which a mortal may obtain the development of his soul condition, without the help of the Divine Love, is by attempting to exercise his will in the way that will cause the thoughts of evil and error to leave him, and to be replaced by thoughts that will bring his heart and soul into harmony with the laws of his creation as mere man. This can be done by his seeking for those higher things of morality, and the subordinating of the purely animal desires and appetites of the mortal to the aspirations and desires of the higher and nobler part of his nature.

TGRABJ, Vol. 2, pg. 367 (Luke) -- The development of the soul in its natural love
“I come tonight to say a few words concerning the great truth of the development of the soul in its natural love, wherein the New Birth is never experienced.
“I know that men think that this natural love has in it a part of the Divinity of the Father’s nature, and that as they develop in the way of purifying it and ridding it of those things which tend to impair its harmony, they will realize that there exists in their souls this Divinity of which we have written. But this is not true, for this natural love partakes only of those elements which the Father implanted in it at the time of man’s creation, and in none of these elements is any of the qualities of the Divine nature.
“It is difficult to explain just the distinction between the Divine Love coming from the Father, and the natural love also coming from Him, and yet, not having any of the Divine nature or qualities; but it is a fact. The natural love may become so purified that it may come into perfect harmony with the laws governing its condition and composition, and yet, fall far short of having in it any of the Divine Love.”

3. Make it OK not to experience physical sensations

Not everyone has burning in the heart area or other sensations. The important proof of the Divine Love changing our souls is the "fruit of the Holy Spirit" that the Bible lists in Galatians 5:22-24: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Gal 5:24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Another proof is keeping the "Eleventh Commandment" that Jesus gave -- loving others as he did, with the Divine Love, unconditionally.

4. The journey is a process and not everyone proceeds at the same pace.
The key is not comparing ourselves with others, but only with ourselves -- to look back and see how far we have come.

5. Seek God for Himself, not for gifts, physical sensations, blessings, etc.
Our greatest desire should be a relationship with God -- seeking at-onement with Him. All else is secondary.

So Beth, these are some things I would encourage a newcomer to understand.
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Dear Beth,
BethM wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 am
First things first, I find the 3-week "great experiment" (here and here) to be very misleading. If three weeks of praying the Perfect Prayer did it for you, I'm VERY envious!
I was the "publisher" but not "inventor" of this challenge. I received the advice 20 years ago and it took just about 3 weeks for me to feel the love so powerfully I thought I was having a heart attack. I then asked God to turn it off and on sequentially until I believed it truly was the love. Some years later Jesus commented on that.

If it did not work for you, I am very sorry. But then I would like to hear what did. I was however extremely determined. And when I was getting no where I invented the idea of first thinking about that which I loved the most in the world, and getting all soppy inside and then switching to God. That was the trick I believe. I am a very "mental" person and I had to discover how to "come from the heart."
BethM wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 amThat same message also says that we may reach the Celestial Kingdom while still on earth and some in Padgett's time were known to have done so.
Hmm will look again but I don't believe that is true. It was not true for Dr Stone, nor Padgett himself. Nor even Eugene Morgan.

hugs
Geoff
BethM
Site Admin

Post by BethM »

Geoff wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:53 pm If it did not work for you, I am very sorry. But then I would like to hear what did.
I'm still working on that ... I'll let you know when I know! I think that I have many of the 'blocks' you've referred to in many previous posts on your site (and that I've referred to on other messages here in the forum).

I recently started working with Maureen on some healing that I am very optimistic will be helpful. She mentioned a bit ago that she was shown my soul condition, and like others have assured me, there's some progress there that I'm just not consciously aware of. I just wish I was!

That said, I got a 'message' a week or so ago. I have these bird feeders outside my dining room window, and in the middle of my prayer, I was greeted by this very loud chirping of an insistent baby bird who wanted fed by his mama ... and the baby was standing ON TOP of a huge cylinder of bird seed! The irony was not lost on me. :lol:

But at present, I'm thinking that because of the Law of Attraction, working on the content of one's thoughts is a fairly critical piece for beginners and others like me. I think about all the time I've let myself be frustrated etc because I wasn't where others seemed to be, and given the Law of Attraction (and almost 'new thought') teachings, I was probably really impeding my progress when I could have been being helped.

Also that because of the "drop by drop" nature for some (like me), I now feel that working simultaneously on natural love paths/healing is very helpful until the mind awareness of Divine Love in the soul fully kicks in. Although not all in the DL community seem to endorse that view, so other beginners need to decide for themselves whether this is true for them. But as I said on one of Catherine's classes a while ago, there are 24 hours in a day ... I have to spend them on something while I wait for enough "drop by drop" Divine Love progress to help me get to the exponential growth part (and love that Prof Salyards uses the snowball rolling down the hill analogy).
Geoff wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:53 pm
BethM wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 amThat same message also says that we may reach the Celestial Kingdom while still on earth and some in Padgett's time were known to have done so.
Hmm will look again but I don't believe that is true. It was not true for Dr Stone, nor Padgett himself. Nor even Eugene Morgan.
That actually was Eva's post, not mine. I have vague memories that this came up several months ago, and like you, Jeanne wasn't sure this was true. I can't recall what Eva's response was at the time, so we'll see what she says. :D
BethM
Site Admin

Post by BethM »

Found this message while doing readings for Catherine and Susan's DTS class tonight. This is more about natural love, but as mentioned above, this may be helpful to folks early on the Divine Love path.

The first cool part is the section that talks about realizing, as the Perfect Prayer says, that we are the "greatest and most wonderful" of God's creations:
Therefore the first things that man must believe is that his present condition is not his natural one, and that he has nothing more or greater to accomplish than to relieve himself of those things which prevent his condition from becoming as it was when he was the perfect man. If he will get this belief firmly fixed in his mind, and assert that he was made by God, and that God never created anything impure or not in harmony with His laws, he, man, will have accomplished the first step towards his regeneration, and towards success in his effort.

He must not consider himself to be a weak, low and unworthy creature of God, not being entitled to those conditions of purity and greatness which made him the beloved child of the Father. Of course, self-esteem and pride and everything of that nature must be eliminated from the estimate that he must have of himself, but on the contrary the idea that he is degenerated and utterly helpless being must not be permitted to enter his mind. Such thoughts do not make him pleasing to God, as he has been taught they do, but only make him subservient to his masters - sin and error - and prevent him from asserting his own superiority to these things, which is necessary to exist in his conception of his true condition, in order that he may obtain the ascendancy over those masters.
The second is more related to Law of Attraction:
Among God’s laws, which never change and which work impartially, is the great law of attraction; and it works in the case of all mortals and spirits, and never rests. And the great principle of this law is, that like attracts like, and the unlike repulses the unlike. So man must know that as he is - I mean in his state of mind and soul - so necessarily will be his companions of those who desire his association, and, hence, he should realize this important truth and all that it implies.

If his thoughts and deeds are evil, he will attract those spirits or mortals who have similar thoughts and deeds, and who will not help him to higher things, but who will retard his progress towards his first estate; and if his thoughts and deeds are good, then his associates will only be those of like qualities, who can and will help him in his progress.
Working on your conscious thoughts and behaviors is VERY doable even in the absence of "feeling" the Love. As they say, wish I knew then what I know now!
Eva
Family

Post by Eva »

Thanks for your further comments, Geoff and Beth, on this interesting topic. :)

I don't believe I was in on the discussion where Jeanne asked the same question as Geoff, much less responding to it.

The paragraph in question says this:
Then I say, the Kingdom of Heaven on earth is not the Divine Kingdom, and has not in it that which is necessarily divine, except the love of God to His creatures to bless and make them happy. His essence and substance are not conferred upon them, for if they were, men would not remain in the kingdom of earth, but would, to a degree, be in the Celestial Heaven, even while on earth, and as I know some men, while still mortals, are in this Divine Heaven.
It implies that some mortals have enough Divine essence and substance to be in the Celestial Heaven while still on earth. The only answer I have is, that since the Divine Love can come into a person's soul without them consciously praying for it, though their soul is yearning for it -- hence people in churches possess the Divine Love even though they believe in the vicarious atonement, etc. -- Jesus, who can see people's souls, knew people that were in a state of having great amount of the Love. By now, 100 years later, they would obviously be fully in the Celestial Kingdom. We don't know whether people of such high soul development now exist on the earth, but it is not impossible. One that comes to mind as a very special person would be the Dalai Lama, and since the Divine Love transcends beliefs and religions, there could be other people outside of the Christian religion.

Building on what Beth wrote:
But at present, I'm thinking that because of the Law of Attraction, working on the content of one's thoughts is a fairly critical piece for beginners and others like me. I think about all the time I've let myself be frustrated etc because I wasn't where others seemed to be, and given the Law of Attraction (and almost 'new thought') teachings, I was probably really impeding my progress when I could have been being helped.
Here is a thought that comes to mind:

The Prayer Perfect when broken down into parts, exhorts us to:

Pray for Soul Readiness and for the Holy Spirit to Deliver Divine Love
• Ask God to open up your soul to the inflowing of His Love
• Ask that the Holy Spirit delivers Divine Love to transform your soul into God’s essence

and

Pray for Faith that Will Cause You to Realize and Know that:
• We are truly God’s children and one with Him in soul substance
• He is our Father and the bestower of every good and perfect gift
• Only I, myself, can stop or hinder my transformation to immortality
• God’s Love is waiting for invitation from any and all
• The Love is never withheld when sought in earnest and with faith

So the reality of being truly God’s children and one with Him in soul substance, i.e., having God's Love in our souls doing the transforming work comes by faith. This implies that it may not always be obvious, otherwise faith would not be needed. Even Padgett was told on several occasions to stop doubting and believe not just that he was called to do the job of receiving messages, but also that God's Love was working in his soul. Sometimes the angels added that he had a great amount of the Love in his soul.

On your other point, Beth, re using natural ways to make progress, I see no conflict whatsoever. In fact the message I quoted above in part (Vol. 1, p. 12) definitely encourages that by saying that the Divine Love path and the natural love path parallel to a considerable degree. There is both Divine and human effort. We pray for the Love, but we also do what we can in making the right and loving choices, eliminating negative thoughts as much as possible, etc. The same principle applies to any prayer. We pray for our needs, e.g., we need a job. We don't just stop with the prayer and wait for an employer to call us with a job offer -- though on rare occasion, this may happen, most of the time, it takes effort on our part to do some job hunting.

Anyway Beth, thanks for starting this thread, and I think you can be encouraged with your journey, which even though it may not be "spectacular" or "blissful" is heading in the right direction. Remember, Elijah, in the midst of discouragement, was told that God is not in drama, but rather in the "still small voice" or in some translations, "gentle whisper." (1 Kings 19:9-15).

Love,
Eva

PS. In submitting this, I see a new message, which I hadn't read yet.
Terry Adler
Family

Post by Terry Adler »

Dear Beth,
What I would tell a beginner would depend on the needs of the beginner, their questions, their stated frustrations and experiences in praying for the Love, plus it would depend on the understanding of both my soul and mind at the time. I suspect there is no formula that would fit every beginner. That is why I value so much the current opportunities for online group discussions with Catherine, Bill and the mediumship program. No matter what the topic we begin to focus upon, there is always opportunity for individuals to both ask personal questions related to the topic and to share their insights and experiences. Each of us takes away our own understanding, which is as it should be. It cannot be otherwise, because every one of us has our own unique filters through which the Law, principle or experience we are discussing is viewed and comprehended. This is one of the key ways we differ from a Church, in which there may be prescribed ways of interpreting the beliefs fundamental to the Church in question.

I have a hunch you are going to continue to be a key teacher yourself, building on your own experiences over these past 18 months, to arrive at a "curriculum" you see as helpful to other newbies. You are already making significant and highly valued contributions in many ways that will be ongoing. You will continue to express and share your gifts, not only as a "tech-savvy" person, a gifted researcher, but also as a teacher able to anticipate the needs of people new to Divine Love and to address them in your own unique way.

Can you tell I appreciate you?
Love,
Terry
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Eva wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:23 pm We don't know whether people of such high soul development now exist on the earth, but it is not impossible. One that comes to mind as a very special person would be the Dalai Lama, and since the Divine Love transcends beliefs and religions, there could be other people outside of the Christian religion.
Dear Eva,

At the higher levels of advancement - the fifth and absolutely the seventh you cannot have a false teaching in your mind. To my thinking this is why neither Mother Teresa nor St Francis went beyond the Fifth on Earth. They certainly had the love, and also false Christian dogma but both I think were simply more interested in love. We have had some feedback on those in the East who of course hang onto reincarnation, as the Dalai Lama does. This is a severe blockage to the final stages of an awakened soul. Several advanced "gurus" have been commented on as regards their spiritual level on arriving in Spirit and to date I know of none who exceeded the fourth. That certainly tells that they could not shake off the natural path part of their belief systems.

hugs
Geoff
AlFike
Site Admin

Post by AlFike »

Whew, this is certainly a high level discussion. I'm glad that I didn't see this trail until today, having time to look. Interesting that the four most intelligent people that I know are having this discussion and it does seem to be very much a mindful one. I assert that there is a big difference in thought and feeling between the mind and the soul. I can feel and discern this difference immediately. It is a definite shift of 'gears' in perception and experience and I have a great deal of gratitude for having known this while still here on earth. That sort of shift does not come with natural love progression. It is a quality of soul faculties which come with enough Divine Love within the soul to ignite the workings of the soul. Those who are purifying in the natural love, which are the majority, are not going any further than acting and thinking in a more harmonious way. The level of 'soul' awakening with the natural love stops at purification and is no doubt a beautiful state of being. Many eastern mystics and yogis demonstrate the power and beauty of these elevated states of the power of mind. In our world, the mind is predominant and its capacities are formidable, but the true power that is the Divine Love is love itself. My goal is to become that state of elevated and 'Divine' love which does not require mindful truth but soul inspired being in truth. That is a big difference and although I am nowhere near that state of grace, it is what I aspire to because I have tasted the fruits of my labours and know that they are worth having.
Beth, you have a good and bright soul. I understand your struggles and have gone through my own in search of my soul truth. It took me a few years before I 'got it' but the desire and yearning of my soul urged me on . Something within you is doing the same. Because you are a very accomplished woman and no doubt used to getting it right, you must feel a great deal of frustration because what is promised with this gift is not evident to your mind. I would urge you to write a book or curriculum for beginners. We can't have enough of them. No doubt your struggles are similar to many others. Soul mind vs, material mind is a very real dilemma in this journey. Too bad we couldn't just flip a switch and see the difference. I asked my guide to show me many years ago and what I experienced almost frightened me because it was so different to what I was used to. In retrospect, I now see why this transition of consciousness is a slow one. Otherwise we would have a great deal of trouble dealing with the demands of the material world. God's plan and wisdom for each of us is a wonderful thing. Much love.......Al
Endless journey,endless Love.