Divine Love prayer circles.Why are there so few of them?

This forum is for all other topics
brother dave k.
Family

Re: Divine Love prayer circles.Why are there so few of them?

Post by brother dave k. »

Al, i understand your viewpoint, and could make considered (respectful) arguments of several or various points. i was merely reporting past experience as encouragement, and present desire of myself and others, influenced by a world view that not all share.
Yes, George was a fireball of enthusiasm. He was also very human, though when his own mental thoughts did not interfere, was very psyhic and inspired. i remember when they went on that trip and had heard that they stopped by your little community (at that time). It is probably just as well that you all decided to follow the course that you took.

much love to all,
brother dave k.
Terry Adler
Family

Post by Terry Adler »

Happy New Year Everyone!
Warm thanks to Al for starting this conversation and to Geoff, Doles, Dave, and Jeanne for your thoughts, all of which prompt me to reflect on how I came to be part of the 40-year-old-circle. The short answer is timing, my own will and desire to re-connect with the Creator, and lots of intervention from Spirit. The precipitating event was brain surgery for the removal of a tumor. When I awoke in the recovery room and was told by the surgeon that all was well, I was overcome with gratitude and the deep knowing that my life was a gift. As I recovered from the operation I began my search for connection with the source of this gift, looking outside of organized religion (which I had rejected in my childhood as a spiritual path). Soon after, I now realize, I was led by Spirit to meet a neighbor who, on brisk walks around the Stanley Park seawall, told me of the Divine Love of the Creator. Ellie didn't tell me didactically; rather, she poured out her love of G-d in an effervescent, joyous way that I longed to feel myself!
So, I sat down alone in my living room and for the first time since my childhood, spoke aloud to G-d (prayer). Then I silently listened for His response (meditation). It came as Love, with such elation, purity and peace that I knew it did not arise from my human self. And I was hooked! Right after that, Ellie took me to meet Barb who I at once recognized as a kindred spirit, and I was invited into the prayer group.
In telling you this, I am highlighting that for me the path to joining a prayer group was relationships, relationships that came when I was ready for them. By ready, I mean open intellectually, emotionally and spiritually to hear what Ellie and Barb had to say and what they didn't say, but showed me through their warm and loving natures. I had tried the way of the intellect and knew my finite mind was not the route through which I could re-connect with our infinite Creator. With their example even more than their words, Ellie and Barb showed me the way of Love.
It would be useful to know how Alec Gaunt attracted people to the circles he started; I am guessing that timing, people's motivation and readiness, plus Alec's charismatic channeling of the Love were factors. Similarly, Al and Jeanne's capacity for bringing love into relationships, for being genuine, authentic and trustworthy, draw people to them and into their prayer meetings.
These factors bring people into the circle, but what keeps a circle going for 40 plus years? Even if people are ready to pray for the Love of the Creator, what would keep them coming faithfully to a circle in addition to praying in a solitary way? For me, it is first of all the intense, singular focus on the purpose of the group, to pray for Divine Love. The group's collective commitment to Divine Love has sustained me when my faith has been weak, my doubts strong, or my private practice lacking. The group has been unwavering in its focus on Divine Love, even when mine has faltered, and serves to bring me back to that goal, that path. The example of others in the group as they have faced their life challenges by drawing on the Creator's Love to uphold and guide them has helped me to do likewise.
Another vital factor is safety; it is safe to be part of this group, in every sense in which safety matters. Love is the guide in all interactions. No one is judged; differences are seen as opportunities for learning, stretching and growing. Each person takes responsibility for his/her reactions to others, knowing their reaction is telling them more about themselves than about the other. Egos are understood to be only one aspect of being human, not the most important one.
The predominant value in the group is the value of the relationship with the Creator and by extension, our relationships with one another. It is through how we enter into and shape these relationships that we practice the Love.
We have become a family through our years together, a family guided not by egos but by Love.
There is so much more to say about our experiences together, what we have learned and how, but it is late evening and I have to get back to Barb's. I want to say how much I appreciate and am grateful for the expansion of our little family through the Saturday prayer group Al and Jeanne initiated and this website that Geoff initiated. And to those who enter into conversations both in person and on-line; I value every contribution and benefit in some way from each. Thank you!
With love and gratitude,
Terry xxxooo
Geoff
Family

Post by Geoff »

Dear Terry,

Your perspective is very useful, but where do I find that second person in Sydney. They must be there, and the spirit will lead them, but I have not found any. So I must not be doing something right. I do know I have a great reticence to proselytise, as I see it.

hugs
Geoff
Doles
Family

Post by Doles »

Terry wrote,
"...Another vital factor is safety; it is safe to be part of this group, in every sense in which safety matters. Love is the guide in all interactions. No one is judged; differences are seen as opportunities for learning, stretching and growing. Each person takes responsibility for his/her reactions to others, knowing their reaction is telling them more about themselves than about the other. Egos are understood to be only one aspect of being human, not the most important one..."
Wow, quite a telling paragraph! Obviously we all know every statement is usually subjective to the opinion of the person making the it, but I find this particular piece quite revealing...I would venture to say quite informative. One statement a world doesn't change in one fell swoop, I don't think, but I would find it quite a start!
With Blessings!
Doles
lizaduff
Family

Post by lizaduff »

Hello dear friends,

I had hoped to comment on that idea that's come up about living in community of like-minded individuals (many write to FCNB expressing this wish, asking who might live near them that also prays for Divine Love) versus living more 'in the world' and not in an insular way.

Al's and Jeanne's and Terry's description of Divine Love Prayer Circle is such a wonderful example of how to have both the safety, security, and joy of being part of a community of fellow seekers and yet each is free to move back into their daily world and see themselves and others in a new way and share that Love in silent ways as well as verbal ways, when appropriate.

For me, I find my sense of community with all of you, as well as with fellow FCNB board members, ministers, members, and readers of our newsletters, and for this I am hugely grateful and I do hope and pray that I will be part of a regular in-person Prayer Circle here where I live. Saying 'yes' to that, asking our Father to remove all obstacles within me to that practice, staying with the 'not-knowing' of where this might all lead, is where I am at now.

Thank you, Al, for the practical guidance about show to start and continue with such a group.

And I want to acknowledge and thank our dear Terry for her beautiful writing, telling us more about the history of the Prayer Circle and the issues that came up, and some of her own personal story. Terry: Thank You!

with love to you all,
elizabeth
brother dave k.
Family

Post by brother dave k. »

Terry, thank you so very much for sharing your experiences in such a warm, genuine, authentic and transparient manner. Many of the things that you speak to i relate to so stronly, in terms of being ready, being openminded, being willing, etc. i loved it! i'm sure that it will be a great help to others.

much love to you,
brother dave k.